What is Birdo's gender?

Lady in Pink

"Staaaay fresh!"
Poll Committee
Pronouns
She/Her
MarioWiki
Agent
So I've had this question and I read the Mario Wiki page and the Wikipedia page for Birdo but now I'm just confused. Did she used to be trans and Nintendo changed it to female or not?

Some idiot in the 80s writing a manual for SMB2 thought trans people were delusional so they went ahead and mocked us.
1724177853779.png

Cue years and years of more transphobic jokes by fans due to this fact. I think some later official material did that too? Some sports game? Something like "Is Yoshi's girlfriend ACTUALLY his boyfriend???!!!". There was that Japan exclusive Captain Rainbow game, some atrocious jokes were made in that especially.

Anyway, in recent years the Mario fandom rightfully went like "Fuck you, she IS a girl." and now she's respected as a trans gaming icon.

She isn't like, the bestest greatest representation in any piece of media ever. The UK versions of Mario games still refer to her with He/Him, I'm not particularly surprised by that I'll be honest. Hopefully that changes in the future but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Even still, it's good to have her and Vivian! It's great that the Mario fanbase has went from making harmful "quips" about "traps" to Beldam speech bubble replying to dumbasses like the person who wrote the manual.

Last edited:
Some idiot in the 80s writing a manual for SMB2 thought trans people were delusional so went ahead and mocked us.
View attachment 47140
Cue years and years of more transphobic jokes by fans due to this fact. I think some later official material did that too? Some sports game? Something like "Is Yoshi's girlfriend ACTUALLY his boyfriend???!!!". There was that Japan exclusive Captain Rainbow game, some atrocious jokes were made in that especially.

Anyway, in recent years the Mario fandom rightfully went like "Fuck you, she IS a girl." and now she's respected as a trans gaming icon.

She isn't like, the bestest greatest representation in any piece of media ever. The UK versions of Mario games still refer to her with He/Him, I'm not particularly surprised by that I'll be honest. Hopefully that changes in the future but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Even still, it's good to have her and Vivian! It's great that the Mario fanbase has went from making harmful "quips" about "traps" to Beldam speech bubble replying to dumbasses like the person who wrote the manual.
But isn't Birdo a species though? So does that mean all of them are trans?

If there is a specific Birdo, she is a she.

If there is a species then they are whatever gender they choose to be.

And thats all there is to it.

THE Birdo (aka Catherine, Birdetta, or Birdie) is a trans woman as is seen in things like SMB2's manual (if handled in a highly problematic way) and the fact that more recent games fail to mention it doesn't make her canonically cis.

The Birdo species is compromised of many different individual Birdos who are presumably a mix of gender identities.

I'd imagine Birdos, as a species, probably had some individuals as gender fluid or some could even be non-binary too. So they/them or whatever their pronouns of choice are (varies by individual).

Last edited:
Back