Apex 2015

I might have. I guess I'll never know. I kick my friend's [insert name for human posterior here], but he's nothing compared to the other guys.

This will give you an idea of what top level play looks like.

Smash played at the highest level like this is a beauty to behold.

No way I could ever last even round one.

I don't even shield or dodge. Not that I don't want to, I just forget.

Mango looks a lot different than his Smash wiki profile picture.
Also, Melee is a game that I still have yet to get. There is a good reason why I didn't want to compete there, preferring Smash 4 and 64. I've seen other footage before, and these guys are no joke. Maybe Mario could take some of them.
In short, Melee is too fast, especially when it's 20XX and everyone chooses Fox or Falco. Smash 64 is a good speed, and I really only need to watch out for Pikachu players (and pros on any character). It's too much to think about. Maybe next year.

Eh, I find the doc better in Meele.

GalacticPetey said:
The whole 20XX thing is a stereotype. There are plenty of solid Sheik, Marth, and others.
Still, nowadays tournaments are practically dominated by the Big 8 (Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, Jigglypuff, Peach, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers).
Occasionally there will be a Samus or Pikachu, and aMSa rocks with Yoshi, but yeah.

Mario Party X said:
Eh, I find the doc better in Meele.
The doc is my 1st alternative in Smash 4, then Luigi. My main is Mario.

Magikrazy said:
GalacticPetey said:
The whole 20XX thing is a stereotype. There are plenty of solid Sheik, Marth, and others.
Still, nowadays tournaments are practically dominated by the Big 8 (Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, Jigglypuff, Peach, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers).
Occasionally there will be a Samus or Pikachu, and aMSa rocks with Yoshi, but yeah.
I know. The tier list is too influential. I could take advantage of that, though. >:)

Smash Bros. is my favorite video game franchise but I know I'm far from being one of the best players out of any game. But being essentially really good at the game isn't exactly why I love the series so much.

But the high talent ceiling in the game has prevented me from ever having the courage to go to a tournament because I just know I'd be wrecked. The closest to doing anything Advanced Technique that I've done is do some of the Perfect Pivoting with Smash 4. But otherwise anyone who has extensive knowledge of the Advanced Techs that are in Melee and Project M would absolutely destroy me.

Eh, people will be more amazed if you can dominate with, say, Link.

But this shows how horribly unbalanced Meele is, I'm not arguing against that. It's just that Barlw is way more unbalanced and Smush has holdovers from Barlw.

Northern Verve said:
Smash Bros. is my favorite video game franchise but I know I'm far from being one of the best players out of any game. But being essentially really good at the game isn't exactly why I love the series so much.

But the high talent ceiling in the game has prevented me from ever having the courage to go to a tournament because I just know I'd be wrecked. The closest to doing anything Advanced Technique that I've done is do some of the Perfect Pivoting with Smash 4. But otherwise anyone who has extensive knowledge of the Advanced Techs that are in Melee and Project M would absolutely destroy me.
Wave-dashing and L-canceling isn't hard, but I haven't bothered to try wave-dashing or wave-shining. I'm casual after all, but I guess that I'm a decent player if I won the Gamestop tournament...

Barlw has one advanced tech, and I believe that's DACUS. You should try it and practice with it to smash CPUs and friends in the face.

Mario Party X said:
Northern Verve said:

Wave-dashing and L-canceling isn't hard, but I haven't bothered to try wave-dashing or wave-shining. I'm casual after all, but I guess that I'm a decent player if I won the Gamestop tournament...

Barlw has one advanced tech, and I believe that's DACUS. You should try it and practice with it to smash CPUs and friends in the face.

It's not about it being hard essentially, more so that in order to be good enough in a competitive tournament you have to master it so hard that you some get perfect enough to do it constantly. And L-Canceling I heard is a pretty repetitive thing to do. I'd just rather play normally rather then just worry about if I L-Canceled correctly. Or if doing L-Canceled correctly even helped me whatsoever. (Because if you just do L-Canceling on every movement you just end up floundering about showing your opponent you're still trying to learn how to do it without hardly doing anything to your opponent)

I don't exactly want to spend upon hours upon hours to learning how to wavedash and L-Cancel effectively and that's essentially what's required if you want to have any chance of just competing/getting past Round 1

Megamario15 said:
Who cares about Link? (Sorry, Link mains) Mario is a surprising choice in and of himself.
When it comes to low-tier, Link is one of the first character to come in mind, although he's more mid-low in Meele than actual bottom like Kirby.

Northern Verve said:
It's not about it being hard essentially, more so that in order to be good enough in a competitive tournament you have to master it so hard that you some get perfect enough to do it constantly. And L-Canceling I heard is a pretty repetitive thing to do. I'd just rather play normally rather then just worry about if I L-Canceled correctly. Or if doing L-Canceled correctly even helped me whatsoever. (Because if you just do L-Canceling on every movement you just end up floundering about showing your opponent you're still trying to learn how to do it without hardly doing anything to your opponent)

I don't exactly want to spend upon hours upon hours to learning how to wavedash and L-Cancel effectively and that's essentially what's required if you want to have any chance of just competing/getting past Round 1
I learn L-canceling and wave-dashing by practicing it while I'm having fun killing the CPU players. It came naturally eventually, and hell, I even L-cancel in games like Smush and Barlw. L-canceling isn't hard, you just need good timing, generally hitting L after landing the attack. If you don't L-cancel properly, there's nothing punishing you; you simply land with the normal amount of frames. I don't like L-canceling by the way; they should've just decreased landing lag. Anyway, L-canceling will help you get better, that's for sure.

Wave-dashing requires a bit more finesse, though, but you're simply short-hopping and almost immediately airdodging diagonally toward the ground, which creates a slide that sends you slightly forward or backward. I can imagine the uses for it, but I myself don't use it (besides, I play Giant mode, so there's no application for it there).

There's also SHFFLing, which requires L-canceling, and it does make great use of aerial moves. Like wave-dashing, it opens more options for you to wail on your opponents.

Megamario15 said:
Who cares about Link? (Sorry, Link mains) Mario is a surprising choice in and of himself.
I don't use Link, but I use Young Link in Melee and Toon Link in Brawl.

Yeah, I think I'm proficient at that.

Megamario15 said:
If you are, perhaps you could try entering a local tournament. Beat people using it.
I don't know any local tournaments, and I'm not interested in tournies. All two tournaments I've been to are kind of haphazard.

It would be nice being a paid professional Smasher that gets an annual six-figure paycheck though, but I want fun first and foremost, not play for money and fame.

Back