Namco's Star Wars: A New Hope

ClawgripFan9001

Pirate Crustacean
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
ClawgripFan9001
So back in 1987, Namco made a Star Wars game on the Nintendo Famicom based on Episode 4: A New Hope. They took several liberties from the film's plot, as the game revolves around Luke Skywalker trying to rescue the main characters from the movie (R2-D2, Han Solo, Obi-Wan Kenobi, C-3PO, Princess Leia and Chewbacca) from the clutches of the Galactic Empire. In order to do this, he travels around in the Millennium Falcon, which is only piloted by Chewie and Han in the film. On each planet the player visits, they have to face a boss in the form of Darth Vader, who is being impersonated by various shapeshifters such as a giant scorpion, a pterosaur, a shark and a Wampa respectively. The real Darth Vader is also fought in the game, once on the Death Star and once on Yavin 4. Other liberties from the film's plot include the usage of the lightsaber and the Force (The latter of which Luke learned very little of until Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back), the appearance of the icy planet Hoth (Referred to as Tina in-game), Luke having black hair instead of sand blonde in-game, and some planets such as Kessel being geographically different from their film counterpart. The game is also relentlessly difficult, as the player dies in one hit and upon dying three times, is sent back to the beginning of the game regardless of how far the player has advanced into the game.

I've seen the Angry Video Game Nerd play it, and I've seen a bit of World of Longplays playing it, but I try to avoid viewing the game footage as much as I can, because the scorpion boss aggravates my arachnopobia.

@ClawgripFan9001 Oh I hear you. I'm afraid of spiders myself. In fact it freaks me out to think that millions of years ago there were insects and spiders as big as a human being. Also, interestingly, the plot of Luke trying to rescue everyone in this game unlike the movie sounds exactly like the plot for Episode V The Empire Strikes back, without Luke learning Vader is his father.

@ClawgripFan9001 Oh I hear you. I'm afraid of spiders myself. In fact it freaks me out to think that millions of years ago there were insects and spiders as big as a human being. Also, interestingly, the plot of Luke trying to rescue everyone in this game unlike the movie sounds exactly like the plot for Episode V The Empire Strikes back, without Luke learning Vader is his father.
Guess Namco was going for a mix of A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back when they decided on the plot for the game, huh?

Back