Why is Mario Sunshine bad?

yoshibro75

16-bit Yoshi with flag
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Yoshibro75
I've heard many people say that Mario Sunshine is a terrible game, but I've never played it myself, could anyone tell me why it's so hated?

it's not a terrible game, it's just a flawed one and one that has the most issues out of all the 3d mario games.

The Toxic Lilypad level. Oh the Toxic Lilypad level.

It's amazing! Atmospheric, great graphics for the time (especially the water), full of charm and fun dialogue, all the worlds are connected, I love it. But it's true that compared to 64, it doesn't ever create that feeling of real connection or depth. Obviously going deep underwater is one thing, but I mean the calm tranquility of Jolly Roger Bay, the only time it does something like that is the Deep Sea of Mare. Also, it's a lot slower than 64. Having to collect 100 coins to get the 100 Coin Shine, leave the world and come back, so you can't get two at once anymore, isn't good. Oh and the blue coins are pretty bad in parts. Fun to scour the landscapes and find them, kind of Zelda-y, but when you're missing two in Noki Bay, and they could be only available in certain episodes, somewhere high up on a cliff, it's a nightmare.

But a loveable nightmare!

Honestly the best way I can describe it is, the physics engine isn't all that more advanced than SM64, but the levels are designed as if it was. I think that's why there are so many weird, clearly unintended interactions that often result in the player's death. For all the shortcomings of 64's engine, it understood its limits and didn't design levels that would be overwhelming. But with Sunshine's level design, you'd need the physics engine to be on the level of Galaxy (not the moveset or speed, just the polish) for it to be fun and not frustrating imo. The setting and characters are the best thing about it (after all it introduced the goat Toadsworth)

Back