General Science Discussion Thread!

Takumi said:
No, thats not what happened. If it was we'd all be robots.

How do you know we're the first form of robots? Huh? And I'm serious, we don't know infact there was an article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/12/12/physicists-universe-simulation-test-university-of-washington-matrix_n_2282745.html

Even they physicists believe the universe may be a simulation or program of some sort.

Takumi said:

That's not the impression I got. Sounded more like a tech-based analogy for Deism.

Takumi said:
Well, if you view all decisions ever made by anyone to simply be chemical reactions in the brain dictating decisions...

...we kind of are robots.

So you took a Huffington Post article saying that some scientists are merely testing a philosophical thought experiment as a complete fact? And even if the tests are a success the article even says that they're not really confirmation of much of anything? It looks more like clickbait than actual information. You should stick to primary resources before taking your Computer Science 101 analogy as reality.

We're not robots. Nor are we created by a "programmer". But that's my belief too.

Did you know that I was made with an X and Y chromosome?

ernesth100 said:
Hypochondriac Mario said:
We're not robots. Nor are we created by a "programmer". But that's my belief too.
You believe we're created by god like programmers or your saying you don't believe that?

We're atheist. We believe in no god.

chillv said:

I wuz created with two X's :]

Baby Luigi said:
ernesth100 said:
You believe we're created by god like programmers or your saying you don't believe that?

Well theres gotta be something out there. NOTHING turns out this perfectly without something guiding it.

chillv said:

Baby Luigi said:

are you sure? have you been tested? extra y chromosomes rarely cause any detectable phenotypical problems in men, and so men carrying two ys are all over the place without even knowing what they are. women with y chromosomes whose bodies don't respond to androgens and so develop into female bodies also exist and are more common than people think

Shoutmon said:
chillv said:

Baby Luigi said:

are you sure? have you been tested? extra y chromosomes rarely cause any detectable phenotypical problems in men, and so men carrying two ys are all over the place without even knowing what they are. women with y chromosomes whose bodies don't respond to androgens and so develop into female bodies also exist and are more common than people think

Well, I saw my karyotype before; no extra chromosome there.

ernesth100 said:
Baby Luigi said:
ernesth100 said:

Well theres gotta be something out there. NOTHING turns out this perfectly without something guiding it.

Are you trying to convince me of something I strongly don't believe in?

ernesth100 said:
Baby Luigi said:
ernesth100 said:

Perhaps it's the other way around; we only exist here because the conditions are perfect, and simple probability states that another place perfect for life could exist elsewhere?

Dr. Javelin said:
Baby Luigi said:
ernesth100 said:
Are you trying to convince me of something I strongly don't believe in?
is that illegal or something

It's not going to change anything

Morty said:
ernesth100 said:
Baby Luigi said:
ernesth100 said:

Perhaps it's the other way around; we only exist here because the conditions are perfect, and simple probability states that another place perfect for life could exist elsewhere?
That's exactly how I see it.

ernesth100 said:
Yeah, right.

Yet the two games have barely any relation to X and Y chromosomes.

There is also a Z chromosome, which I believe chickens are one creature that has it.

There's also a W chromosome. Certain species of fish, insects, and birds have it. Females of these species have one Z and one W chromosome, while males have two Z chromosomes, at least according to the eighth edition (2009) of Mosby's Medical Dictionary.

Xanthium said:
In that case, what guided this something who guided us?

Nothing, chances and probability brought us here. We're one among a mind-boggling amount of worlds in this universe anyway.

Baby Luigi said:
Xanthium said:
In that case, what guided this something who guided us?

Nothing, chances and probability brought us here. We're one among a mind-boggling amount of worlds in this universe anyway.
And besides, if there were slightly different rules, it would be simply another world, not vast emptiness. Life as we know it is guided by certain principles, but life can exist in other environments as well.

Back