General Science Discussion Thread!

I'm not sure why you're focusing this on me. I'm not attempting to pass myself off as a highly educated physicist. I don't understand the intricacies of this, which is why when I have a question about it I look it up and trust in the ideas that qualified individuals have tirelessly worked towards discovering. I'd appreciate it if you stopped the snarky horseshit because you're only making yourself look stubborn. If you have questions about the big bang, look them up. I gave you an entire wikipedia article about it but there's a whole ton more out there to look up. If something looks fishy to you, such as your confusion over how matter was created, then focus your search on that to see how that question was answered. Seeing something that confuses you and initiates a question is hardly a reason to be all "well this theory is bunk!!", but instead it's just another path to go down to understanding and discovery.

I'm not intending to win anything. I'm trying to help you understand the answers to the questions you're asking, rather than viewing it as a dead end. There's a reason my answers have been heavily derived from links I've posted, or even just showing you the link myself. The answers to the questions that you're implying are huge cogs in the theory have already been considered and answered, and if you took the 4 seconds to look it up before going in a mario forum to put yourself in the position of being the sole person to debunk a widely accepted theory, you'd be able to flow through the conversation without so many arguments.

They'd be more fun if you made a stronger attempt to understand instead of investing energy in defensive stubbornness and personal quips.

Also, got a 10/10 go me

7475f5e056e46a8bc99c93f6d11f4309-1.jpg

Georges Lemaître first proposed what became the Big Bang theory in what he called his "hypothesis of the primeval atom". Over time, scientists built on his initial ideas to form the modern synthesis. The framework for the Big Bang model relies on Albert Einstein's general relativity and on simplifying assumptions such as homogeneity and isotropy of space. The governing equations were first formulated by Alexander Friedmann and similar solutions were worked on by Willem de Sitter. In 1929, Edwin Hubble discovered that the distances to far away galaxies were strongly correlated with their redshifts—an idea originally suggested by Lemaître in 1927. Hubble's observation was taken to indicate that all very distant galaxies and clusters have an apparent velocity directly away from our vantage point: the farther away, the higher the apparent velocity, regardless of direction.[15] Assuming that we are not at the center of a giant explosion, the only remaining interpretation is that all observable regions of the universe are receding from each other.

Here's a direct link to all of the problems they've found with the theory, each with links of their own

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang#Problems

Again, I'm not a physicist so any further questions you may have please direct them to your search engine, and I implore you to fully read and then reread everything until you understand what the words mean and the intention behind their use before making some snarky comment.

That's entirely not what I'm doing, so I don't know why you're thinking I am. I'm just showing you that the answers to the questions you have are readily available in the links I have already posted, and are also available outside of my intervention by just searching for it on your own.

Baby Luigi said:
Dr. Murder said:
A "Theory" is an academic equivalent of a "Guess".

I know it has been addressed but....

did you know that gravity is "ONLY" a theory?
gravity has directly observable effects that we can observe in the present, which makes it more "believable" than ideas about how the universe began

as for the big bang theory, i honestly don't care either way whether that's how it started or isn't, so i'm just going to stay out of this

Dr. Javelin said:
Baby Luigi said:
Dr. Murder said:
A "Theory" is an academic equivalent of a "Guess".

I know it has been addressed but....

did you know that gravity is "ONLY" a theory?
gravity has directly observable effects that we can observe in the present, which makes it more "believable" than ideas about how the universe began

a "theory" is a well-tested hypothesis used to explain a natural phenomenon. neither is "more of a theory" than the other, both meet the necessary requirements to be considered such, and both can be easily overturned if more evidence suggests a better explanation is needed.

yeah, but if gravity is overturned we won't suddenly not understand how gravity works

idk, it doesn't really matter much to me. you're right.

Dr. Javelin said:
yeah, but if gravity is overturned we won't suddenly not understand how gravity works

exactly. we'd know better how gravity (or whatever replaces it) works.

the same goes for the big bang. from all the data science has acquired, this is our best estimate. if it turns out to be dead wrong, that just means we're one step closer to the truth.

I'm not sure what your post about robotic fish had to do with anything in the last 2-3 pages

ernesth100 said:
Wow, by posting about robotic fish I managed to start up an argument that has nothing to do with it.

When the hell did you post about a robotic fish?

The argument was brought up because Dr. Murder got a 9/10 on the quiz link I posted because he got the question about the Big Bang Theory wrong since he doesn't believe it.

DragonFreak said:
The latter.
Oh, you may find this quite redundant but I think God is like a universal programmer. I believe the universe is his form of an A.I. system and that the Big Bang was him "Pushing the Start Button"(metaphorically speaking of course). From the Big Bang forward the universe worked itself out.

Back