General Science Discussion Thread!

Baby Luigi said:
Dr. Javelin said:
because they want to assure people that sharks are completely harmless when they actually aren't completely harmless? idk
Most sharks aren't even your big threatening white-tip reef, great white, or bull shark to begin with.
are you still somehow under the impression that i believe sharks to be a grave threat?

no, i don't think they're a major problem. but to assure people that "oh sharks aren't dangerous at all" is just lying, because they are clearly able to deal serious damage to a human if provoked. which doesn't happen often, but it still can happen.

I think what the issue here was, Javelin, is that while your point is that you're saying that while sharks aren't terrible shit beasts, they're also not innocent kittens, you initially focused more on droning about how statistics are bad, which made the implication of you believing the stats about sharks being not that harmful were completely false. It's the same case as the last time I butted my nose into a debate with you--you say what you really mean only after people get upset.

Now that we all know, we can shut up with the sharks because this is like the 3rd time a huge debate over absolutely nothing featuring sharks has happened in the last month or 2 and really no one cares except you 2 or 3, so take it to PM if you're that fierce about it.

Morty said:
It's the same case as the last time I butted my nose into a debate with you--you say what you really mean only after people get upset.
well, that's one way of putting it

it looks to me more like i'm clarifying my position so that it's more understandable
Morty said:
Now that we all know, we can shut up with the sharks because this is like the 3rd time a huge debate over absolutely nothing featuring sharks has happened in the last month or 2 and really no one cares except you 2 or 3, so take it to PM if you're that fierce about it.
yeah honestly i was trying to talk more about statistics than sharks this time

Baby Luigi said:
Dr. Javelin said:
because they want to assure people that sharks are completely harmless when they actually aren't completely harmless? idk

Most sharks aren't even your big threatening white-tip reef, great white, or bull shark to begin with.

Yup, you have Whale Sharks, which are basically harmless. If every shark on Earth were like the one you find in Jaws... Only then would I be scared.

Even then, great white sharks enjoy human touch, and there have been cases where the sharks compete for attention.

It's still dangerous to touch one, but sharks don't intentionally kill humans.

im still always curious to see how any research has been going into the black hole(s).

Apparently they break down like every cell or something, dont know much about it.

I would have brought it up earlier when the topic title was on the speed of light but forgot to.

no one knows what happens inside black holes, because it's impossible to observe because nothing ever returns from a black hole

we can only observe their effects on things outside the event horizon

"there are no black holes—in the sense of regimes from which light can't escape to infinity. There are, however, apparent horizons which persist for a period of time."

but we can't prove that, can we?

most of what we "know" about black holes is just speculation, because we've never had a good chance to observe one

I've heard that mini-black holes are being created in the atmosphere all the time

That being said, I'm kinda laughing at people who think turning on the Large Hadron Collider will mean the end of the world.

well it's a good thing then that there are legitimate concerns about precisely smashing protons together at unimaginable speeds

Black holes don't suck in everything. If that was true, Sagittarius A* would've killed us. In fact, if the sun got replaced by a black of a similar mass, Earth's orbit wouldn't change.

http://phys.org/news/2011-05-mini-black-holes-atoms-earth.html

http://prbo.aps.org/story/v9/st3

Cosmic rays--high-energy protons, neutrinos, and other particles--continually rain down through the atmosphere from parts unknown. When a cosmic particle hits an atmospheric proton or neutron with sufficient force, the pair can explode into cascading showers of particles kilometers across. Or, if it's extremely energetic, the ray could create a tiny black hole, which arises when matter becomes ultra-concentrated. Theory predicts these space-time sinkholes should then decay into a wide array of products, from muons to photons.

ernesth100 said:
Black holes are fascinating. So I wonder if they don't suck in everything do black holes have(excuse the pun) a specific diet?
No, it's just that you have to pass a point called the event horizon. The farther away you are from the black hole, the less it takes to escape from it.

Hypochondriac Mario said:
ernesth100 said:
Black holes are fascinating. So I wonder if they don't suck in everything do black holes have(excuse the pun) a specific diet?
No, it's just that you have to pass a point called the event horizon. The farther away you are from the black hole, the less it takes to escape from it.
Science is incredible you know there using a Hydron(I think) Collider to try and generate an artificial Black Hole?

ernesth100 said:
ernesth100 said:
Science is incredible you know there using a Hydron(I think) Collider to try and generate an artificial Black Hole?

I just mentioned the Large Hadron Collider

ernesth100 said:
ernesth100 said:
What are we gonna do with an artificial black hole? Kill kaiju? Last time we tried that, a giant dragonfly monster appeared.

GalacticPetey said:
ernesth100 said:
ernesth100 said:
What are we gonna do with an artificial black hole? Kill kaiju? Last time we tried that, a giant dragonfly monster appeared.
We can use it to suck in any meteors that threaten us or oil spills! The possibilities for good are endless!

Back