Official Paper Mario for Smash 4 Thread

Do you think Paper Mario still has a chance?

• Yes, as a Paper Mario rep

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Yes, as an 8th Mario rep

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leaning towards no, but maybe a slight chance

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No, absolutely no way

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Leak is fake

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fawfulthegreat64

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
The Official Paper Mario for Smash 4 Thread

DQN0ULd.gif

Paper Mario, a series that has finally gotten a chance to shine in Smash Bros. after years of neglect and being insulted by one of its own installments, is being acknowledged with a stage in the newest Smash Bros. I believe it also deserves a rep, whether to represent the Paper Mario series alone or a sixth rep for Mario.

This is the topic to discuss Paper Mario's inclusion in SSB4. Paper Mario supporters, here's your chance to voice your thoughts on the matter. Paper Mario 4 Sm4sh!

Current Supporters:
greatdimentio (Fawfulthegreat64)
SilverBassCross
Burnmad
slumpcat
PaleTunaPls
NeutronStar256
DrSnipester343
PhotonCrusader
wiiking96
just14
DK9292
Powers46
Assassin2713
MarioFan20
OlafPietro
AuraWielder
Nysic
Glitchy
Yoshi K
Icemario
Freakworld
Magikrazy
Glacely
Evilcrachitt
Yakob0919
ThunderSeal
smashman92
TEC-XX
GigaMan91
LemmTK
Zero_Destroyer
Lumastar
Port_of_Adia
Tewlsy
undisputed2386
SamuraiCelebi
pielover19
Sigma0Pirate
Mewtwo_soul
Enigmaire
TheTitan99
AnselaFan
QueenLUCiNA
Shinedog22
PKMNgamer27
Shadow_Roxas_
thesmark
Lolo_Guru
Simcambi
PokeSchluck
Patwhit01
forest_wanderer
energyman2289
LavieThunda
Yoshi_Bro
supermariofan
Stargazing
DMZapp

If you support, quote this list and add your name.
PS. This isn't gonna be like my old Fawful topics where I disallowed anyone to not support. If you don't support it, that's fine too. I would appreciate it if you'd tell me why though.

Do not support. The Mario RPG's don't deserve anything. Be happy that you were lucky enough to get a stage. I'm already somewhat upset enough how the Mario RPGs got representation before Mario Party did. Making Paper Mario playable would be like giving Mario Party fans like me the middle finger.

Paper Mario said:
Current Supporters: (from GameFAQs)
SilverBassCross
Burnmad
slumpcat
PaleTunaPls
NeutronStar256
DrSnipester343
PhotonCrusader
wiiking96
just14
DK9292
Powers46
Assassin2713
MarioFan20
OlafPietro
AuraWielder
Nysic

Even if he wasn't a rep for the Paper Mario series, he's a much better Mario rep than Daisy, Toad, or Bowser Jr.

3D Player 2004 said:
Do not support. The Mario RPG's don't deserve anything. Be happy that you were lucky enough to get a stage. I'm already somewhat upset enough how the Mario RPGs got representation before Mario Party did. Making Paper Mario playable would be like giving Mario Party fans like me the middle finger.

The Paper Mario series and the Mario Party series are competing how exactly?

Anyway, I won't mind Paper Mario as long as they do make effort in making him unique. It'd be nice to see the idea of a separate version of a character redeemed after worst-inclusion-of-the-series Dr. Mario and Toon Link being just a somewhat improved Young Link.

For people thinking he would be a clone:

Up-Special: Ultra Jump
Side-Special: Hammer
Down-Special: Quake Hammer

He would be faster than Mario but lighter.

Shy​ Guy said:
Paper Mario would be a clone of Mario, so I don't want him in SSB4.

Actually, I'd bet he'd be a clone of mr game and watch.

Nysic said:

Every character has the potential to not be a clone, however that doesn't mean the developers would make him not a clone.

The thing is he wouldn't make sense as a clone. When in Paper Mario has he used FLUDD or a cape?

Nysic said:

Wiiking96 came up with an entire moveset on GameFAQs that I think is worth taking a look at:
B - Hammer Throw
Hammers move in an arc; damage and knockback similar to Pit's arrows; four hammers can be on the screen at one time.

Side B - Shell Shot
Koops is shot forward; he can be held in place indefinitely before being send back. Kooper is an alternate side special that can be charged to use Fire Shell instead.

Down B - Bobbery
Throws Bobbery forward just like in TTYD; can be blown up early

Up B - Parakarry
Works like a slow version of Snakes ^B without damage and with better horizontal control.

AAA: Vivian punches forward and Bow smacks backwards with her fan twice.
Side Tilt: Basic Hammer smack; works like the Hammer in the field in Paper Mario.
Down Tilt: Spins in place while in Paper Boat form briefly.
Up Tilt: Tornado Jump
Dash A: Spin Attack from the first Paper Mario.
Side Smash: Uses the Quake Hammer, which creates a tremor that affects nearby ground-bound opponents.
Down Smash: Super Hammer spin - Hits multiple times; works sort of like Link's ^B.
Up Smash: Spring Jump with relatively low altitude.

Nair: Watt lets out a zap of electricity.
Fair: Sushi uses Squirt forward at a slightly upward angle.
Bair: Ms. Mowz zips out and back very quickly straight behind PM.
Uair: Goombario headbonks upward and then falls as fast as PM, meaning that extra damage can be caused by the fall of the Goomba.
Dair: Spin Jump (ground pound)

Grab: Thoreau shoots out forward.
Pummel: Cudge smacks the victim while Thoreau holds him/her down.
Forward Throw: Bombette carries the victim forward quickly and explodes.
Back Throw: Yoshi spits the opponent out backwards like with Gulp.
Down Throw: Yoshi ground-pound bounces on the opponent several times.
Up Throw: Lakilester throws the opponent up and then throws a Spiny Egg at them.

Final Smash - Art Attack
You control the Ruby Star; fully circling an opponent will cause 30% and high knockback; hitting the opponent with the star causes 5% and stun damage; the trail left by star will block opponents like a wall.

Shield Pose: Does the guard pose as if he's succeeding at a normal guard action command.
Counter Shield: Unique to Paper Mario. If you time the shield correctly, instead of reflecting an attack, he uses the Super Guard, which hurts opponents using direct attacks.
Neutral Dodge: Slim/Paper Thin Curse.
Side Dodge: Paper Tube; think Samus' morph ball.
Air Dodge: Spins in mid-air.

Running Animation: Uses Dashell.
Double Jump Animation: Mario briefly enters Paper Airplane mode to get a boost upwards.
Swimming Animation: Rides on Sushi.

Taunt 1: Mario waves as if he's appealing to the audience.
Taunt 2: Bombette, Flurrie, and Vivian all come out and appeal simultaneously.
Taunt 3: Goombella comes out and comments on the nearest opponent or item.

Nysic said:
The thing is he wouldn't make sense as a clone. When in Paper Mario has he used FLUDD or a cape?

Neither does Dr Mario or Ganondorf but it still happened regardless.

Mcmadness said:
Nysic said:

Those were bad choices that were relative of how rushed Melee's development was. Dr. Mario is still my least favorite inclusion of the entire series regardless. But in Smash 4, there's more room for each character being somewhat unique because the development time has actually been the longest amount of time on any of the previous Smash games, even Brawl. Even Lucina looks to be Brawl Semi-Clonish. And if nothing else, there is custom movesets to make characters even more different from eachother.

Paper Mario said:
Current Supporters:
greatdimentio
there is a guy on Gamefaqs with that exact name who has been getting on my nerves for like a week now.

Shy​ Guy said:
Actually, not at all.

Paper Mario could use his hammer, partners, pixls, crystal star powers, stickers, etc.

Paper Mario in Smash would be a pleasant thing to see, but I'm not expecting him.

Paper Mario said:
Nysic said:

Wiiking96 came up with an entire moveset on GameFAQs that I think is worth taking a look at:

To be honest I think the Tornado Jump and Ultra Jump would be better off as custom moves for his Up B.

GalacticPetey said:
Shy​ Guy said:
Actually, not at all.

Paper Mario could use his hammer, partners, pixls, crystal star powers, stickers, etc.
And his badge attacks.

3D Player 2004 said:
Paper Mario said:
Current Supporters:
greatdimentio
there is a guy on Gamefaqs with that exact name who has been getting on my nerves for like a week now.

GreatDimentio is Paper Mario.

Northern Verve said:
Mcmadness said:
Nysic said:

Those were bad choices that were relative of how rushed Melee's development was. Dr. Mario is still my least favorite inclusion of the entire series regardless. But in Smash 4, there's more room for each character being somewhat unique because the development time has actually been the longest amount of time on any of the previous Smash games, even Brawl. Even Lucina looks to be Brawl Semi-Clonish. And if nothing else, there is custom movesets to make characters even more different from eachother.

Indeed, however I'm still skeptical, I don't trust them to give him a unique moveset, no matter how much potential there may be.

Not that I really want PM in anyway, Smash 4 has enough Mario characters.

Mcmadness said:
Not that I really want PM in anyway, Smash 4 has enough Mario characters.
Imo, Mario deserves 7 reps this installment and the go-to characters for those 6th and 7th slots are Daisy and Bowser Jr because they are the only characters left who aren't generic, or pointless alternate versions of other charatcters.

Paper Mario isn't even in the top 10 most deserving Mario/subseries Characters, they are in no specific order:

Daisy
Bowser Jr
Toad
Koopa Kid
Waluigi
Birdo
King K Rool
Dixie Kong
Kiddy Kong
Cranky Kong

3D Player 2004 said:
The Mario RPG's don't deserve anything.
Why not? The series would have gotten stale a long time ago had it not been for them.

Paper Mario said:
SilverBassCross
Burnmad
slumpcat
PaleTunaPls
NeutronStar256
DrSnipester343
PhotonCrusader
wiiking96
just14
DK9292
Powers46
Assassin2713
MarioFan20
OlafPietro
AuraWielder
Nysic
Glitchy
Yoshi K

I really like his moveset potential, but I'm not sure if Nintendo thinks he's ready. I definitely think if he isn't in this game, he has a serious chance for Smash 5.

SolarBlaze said:
3D Player 2004 said:
Why not? The series would have gotten stale a long time ago had it not been for them.

I highly doubt that.

Paper Mario said:
SilverBassCross
Burnmad
slumpcat
PaleTunaPls
NeutronStar256
DrSnipester343
PhotonCrusader
wiiking96
just14
DK9292
Powers46
Assassin2713
MarioFan20
OlafPietro
AuraWielder
Nysic
Glitchy
Yoshi K
Icemario

Meloetta said:
I really like his moveset potential, but I'm not sure if Nintendo thinks he's ready. I definitely think if he isn't in this game, he has a serious chance for Smash 5.
I completely agree with this.

3D Player 2004 said:
Daisy and Bowser Jr [...] aren't pointless alternate versions of other charatcters.
hahahaha

ALSO WHY DO YOU THINK KOOPA KID HAS A CHANCE AT ALL!?

also support paper mario, but if he ever gets in, it probably won't be 4

i'd rather not have him in, yeah he could be unique and all but i'm just not fan of alternate artstyle characters

SolarBlaze said:
3D Player 2004 said:
arguing with 3D player is pointless lol

Azusa Nakano said:
SilverBassCross
Burnmad
slumpcat
PaleTunaPls
NeutronStar256
DrSnipester343
PhotonCrusader
wiiking96