post any random Mario thought on your mind

Make it so male partners chomp at the bit too. Once you establish that Mario is a ladies' man after he receives attention from Goombella et al., culminate the whole thing with Bobbery smooching him. This way, you make it clear that Mario's pheromones are so powerful that they make even the manliest, most stolid seadogs fall in love with the greasy plumber. Simply everyone, boy or girl, would act out of character around him. That way, you would dispel potential interpretations that the game's female partners are easy, and while you still wouldn't do the writing any favors, hey--at least it's not sexist.

Last edited:
TTYD did always seem to have a lots of instances of flirting and fawning and unrequited PDAs that… set a bit of a pushy tone, I guess I could put it.

And yeah. I really hope the next game has multiple partners who continue to develop over the entire plot. Having them all give interchangeable reactions to story beats in TTYD and SPM leaves something to be desired, and the rare exceptions are very specific. Writing partners out of the story limits the gameplay depth (and the series has probably milked its heroic sacrifice trope dry by now). I think giving a cast of partners story arcs beyond the chapters they join you in would be fresh for the series and is probably long-wanted.
Big recommendation, which not everyone will agree on, is also have make sure Mario has actual responses. Give him dialogue even. I'm not going to demand like the full on back-and-forth skits like in the Tales games, but if partners want to share their experiences or whatever, Mario needs to share his and whatnot. Characters don't develop in vacuums. That's probably the best way to boost partners, have the guy they talk to contribute to this.

Origami King actually did this quite effectively between Mario and Olivia, so that's a good starting point. Heck, just to show you that there's some improvement since TTYD, Paper Mario has reacted a lot more appropriately to certain key plot points such as having a party member leave for good vs in Super Paper Mario where he barely reacts to his own brother metamorphosing into some abomination.

The thing is the way these partners are set up, it'll make the script get unnecessarily complicated with matrices of dialogue trees and whatnot, which isn't fitting for a Paper Mario game, so I don't really blame Origami King for consigning partners to a limited arc.

Make it so male partners chomp at the bit too. Once you establish that Mario is a ladies' man after he receives attention from Goombella et al., culminate the whole thing with Bobbery smooching him. This way, you make it clear that Mario's pheromones are so powerful that they make even the manliest, most stolid seadogs fall in love with the greasy plumber. Simply everyone, boy or girl, would act out of character around him. That way, you would dispel potential interpretations that the game's female partners are easy, and while you still wouldn't do the writing any favors, hey--at least it's not sexist.
Adding on to it, let's just say if all these coy partners were male, people WOULD actually take notice on how strange this is. Saying "if these characters were male" actually should help offering perspective on these kinds of critiques on female depiction, even outside Paper Mario.

The thing is the way these partners are set up, it'll make the script get unnecessarily complicated with matrices of dialogue trees and whatnot, which isn't fitting for a Paper Mario game, so I don't really blame Origami King for consigning partners to a limited arc.
Why so? My thinking was that they'd just swap the relevant partner(s) out when a scene specifically calls for them. If that would be awkward, they could hide it with a scene transition or camera trick (SPM actually did a fair bit of this, despite the questionable cinematography of setting nearly every cutscene in 2D). The existing points where every partner gives interchangeable responses seem like the ones that would require more dialogue work, both from a technical perspective and in terms of coaxing a bunch of distinct personalities into the same story script.

K. Rool should accept defeat and side with the Kong Family, maybe even become a honorary member. Who cares that he literally tried to start a famine against them and then destroy their home island. It's flippin' Donkey Kong games.

Yesterday I played all Super Mario Kart courses with my little brother. He liked neither any of them nor the game lol (he said controls feel like ice skating, the game looks ugly, and that most levels are bad, best one being the first lol). He enjoyed Mario Kart 64 a lot more.

Last edited:
Gamecube Mario parties port with better graphics would be dope.
Yeah I'd rather there be a multiple in one collection though instead of porting over one specific game

The No Limits parade has been updated at Universal Studios Japan for the summer (best view around fifteen minutes in):
The weird Koopaling dancers have been replaced with Toad mechanic dancers (much better), dancers with F.L.U.D.D.s have been added (disappointingly for a splash parade they don't seem to work) and Peach has been kicked off her kart to ride on the float... and be replaced by Daisy! So we have a Daisy mascot character now! (Not an articulated one at the moment, but she does have an updated dress to match the style of Peach's) She is very cool, and as a Daisy fan I am very happy. :)
Also if you like Pokémon there are some cool new water type puppets in the parade too (follows the Mario float).

I've been taking from the various shippings like Luigi x Daisy, Luigi x Peasley and Luigi x Bowser that it has been accepted by the Mario fandom that Luigi is considered bisexual at this point?

1721010485905.png

Source: https://www.nintendo.com/jp/character/mario/en/history/index.html

I was thinking about the Mario Portal's series tab the other day. Some points:
  • The series revealed tends to be based on when new released were released on the Nintendo Switch. So for example Mario Golf: Super Rush was released in 2021, and Mario Strikers: Battle League was released in 2022. Which makes the first three series very interesting. If it were ordered by new games in the series, then Mario Kart would be #1, Super Mario #2, Mario Tennis #3, and Mario Party #4. But that's not what happened here.
  • I am inclined to think that to Nintendo, Super Mario is the biggest series, followed rightfully by Mario Kart, and then Mario Party. It's a high honour for Mario Party specifically, because despite being essential, it's not treated as essential by enthusiasts (and Super Smash Bros.). We can infer that to Nintendo, every other series is secondary and more or less equal in terms of importance.
  • Mario & Luigi is listed right after Paper Mario even though it would, by logic, be after Mario vs. Donkey Kong (since it got a new release on the Switch later this year). I am guessing that it's because of Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, which has Paper Mario elements in it, which might be why it's there in the first place.
  • Mario + Rabbids is the only series in the "Others" section. It's a strange placement but its nature as an outsider crossover might have something to do with it, unlike Mario vs. Donkey Kong.
  • For a series with only one game, Super Mario RPG has its own section. Technically two, but the second game is a remake of the first. I wonder if this spells out any future plans for the series?
  • No new Dr. Mario games so far, so unfortunately it doesn't have a new section here yet. I wonder where it will end up once a new game gets released eventually.
  • Super Mario Run is treated as a Super Mario series game. Some users seem to not want to admit that it's a mainline game, but Nintendo believes that it is one. Speaking of, digital-only games (including certain Mario vs. Donkey Kong games) are listed in the history, so being digital-only is not a limiting factor.
  • In a similar vein, Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit is listed as a Mario Kart game. Again it's something some users don't want to admit as a new game in the series, but if we're being technical, the Nintendo Switch indeed has a new original Mario Kart game.
  • As of now, Nintendo hasn't listed their pre-1985 Mario games. I know they aren't the most acknowledgeable games for not fitting the Super Mario brand but given their position in the history I think it would be fine to list them. Like say, Mario Bros. (1983) where some of the games clearly has it (e.g.: Super Mario Bros. 3). And there's Donkey Kong which is Mario's first game but I suspect that it doesn't have Mario in the title so technically it would be a Donkey Kong game instead.
Whew! That's a lot of thoughts for a history section. Sorry for the list, which might make it a bit difficult to read.

Thank you for reading.

I was thinking about Hudson Soft's output the other day, and I thought it was interesting how their biggest success is Mario Party. Yes, they certainly developed and/or published a lot of beloved games like Bomberman and Adventure Island, and Bomberman is a classic series that gets a lot of love, but not even Bomberman was guaranteed a million seller. In fact, if I looked at the Wikipedia pages correctly, their million sellers are on Nintendo systems (if they have on their consoles like TurboGrafx-16, I do not know. Maybe someone can bring some numbers to light?), whereas I can't seem to find any Hudson Soft games listed in other consoles (including Playstation ones). Scouring Wikipedia, this is what I managed to gather:

SystemGamePub/DevSales
Nintendo DSMario Party DSDev9,310,000
Nintendo WiiMario Party 8Dev8,850,000
Game BoyPokémon Trading Card GameDev (w/ Creatures Inc.)3,720,000
Nintendo 64Mario PartyDev2,700,000
Nintendo 64Mario Party 2Dev2,480,000
Nintendo GameCubeMario Party 4Dev2,460,000
Nintendo GameCubeMario Party 5Dev2,170,000
Nintendo GameCubeMario Party 7Dev2,080,000
Nintendo WiiDeca SportsBoth (JP & NA); Dev (EU)2,000,000 (Shipped)
Nintendo 64Mario Party 3Dev1,910,000
Nintendo GameCubeMario Party 6Dev1,630,000
NES/FamicomLode RunnerBoth (Pub w/ Broderbund)1,500,000
NES/FamicomNinja Hattori-kunBoth1,500,000
NES/Famicom4 Nin Uchi MahjongDev1,450,000
NES/FamicomAdventure IslandBoth1,050,000
NES/FamicomBombermanBoth1,000,000
SNES/Super FamicomSuper Bomberman 2Pub1,000,000
Nintendo 64Bomberman 64Both (JP); Pub (WW)1,000,000
Nintendo 64Bomberman HeroPub (JP)1,000,000

We can see that only Pokemon Trading Card Game and Deca Sports managed to be slotted at the top alongside Mario Party games. But by and large, Mario Party is clearly where the money is. Bomberman didn't even sell as much as a Mario Party, so I feel that while Bomberman is a beloved game series, it would probably not see much value for Nintendo (as much as I would like to see how it fares as a Nintendo IP).

I can't help but feel that they developed a lot of Mario Party games in short succession to keep them afloat, given how all but one (Mario Party Advance) sold more than a million. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a degree of crunch involved to get the games out (this isn't confirmed, just to make it clear). I don't think it's a coincidence that there's one new Mario Party game every year on average since they started developing it from 1998 - 2007 (first 8 numbered Mario Party, Mario Party Advance, and Mario Party DS). I'm sure they are happy that Mario Party allows them to stay afloat and let them continue their other gaming endeavours, since it appears that Bomberman didn't do generally well compared to Mario Party.

Perhaps in hindsight, Nintendo was right in the money in bringing in the talent that made Mario Party and let them develop party video games as a subsidiary, because that is clearly where they are good at.

Thank you for reading.

If Jolene created an alternate identity for herself to use when having time to herself at Glitzville's juice bar, and since alternate identities are supposed to draw away attention from oneself, why did she make her alternate identity into a pretty lady that's bound to get attention from male visitors to the juice bar?

Back