Mario & Luigi: Brothership

Zatanna

Maybe backwards is my native tongue.
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
MiracleDinner
Announced in Nintendo Direct today, the M&L series is coming back LET'S GOOOOOOO OH MY G-D!!!!!

Yeah. . .

Kevin Afghani STILL Doesn't sound good as Mario; Charles Martinet is STILL My Favorite VA for Mario. . . the Only Mario voice good enough for me; is a Voice that sounds A LOT More like the voice we got from Charles Martinet for 27 years. . . Like the Brazillian Voice Actor, Raphael Rossatto from the Movie, Who CLEARLY based HIS Voice performance off of the Iconic Charles Martinet Voice(Instead of Sounding like Emmett Brickowski doing an Impression of Rocket Raccoon like we got in English)
It's clear at this point after 2 games, Super Mario Bros Wonder, as well as Mario & Luigi: Brothership; Kevin's NOT going to give me the kind of Mario Voice I WANNA Hear from him; aka one that sounds like that of Charles Martinet's Iconic Performances

and I Really hope that Bowser DOESN'T become the main antagonist AGAIN like he did in Dream Team & Paper Jam. . .

Seriously; THAT'S What the Mainline Mario games are for; Spin-offs should be allowed to be different; INCLUDING HAVING DIFFERENT MAIN ANTAGONISTS THAT AREN'T JUST BOWSER LIKE IN THE MAINLINE MARIO GAMES!!

That's One Reason I've become so Apathetic to M&L, and didn't miss it at all(Still Don't)

Because I Get SICK of seeing Bowser as the Main Antagonist in the Mario Spin-off Games; aka the Games; THAT ARE ALLOWED to be Different; solely because they're Spin-off games; which means; they are NOT obligated to keep Bowser as the Main Antagonist in these games like they are in the Mainline Games; Because in Spin-off games; we can see Mario & Bowser team up against a common enemy; Like against Fawful in Bowser's Inside Story; or against Cosma in Mario + Rabbids: Spark of Hope; or Against King Olly in The Origami King; or against Count Bleck in Super Paper Mario, or against Lord Smithy in Super Mario RPG

Last edited:
This looks awesome! I wasn't expecting it to be an entirely new game I thought it was a remake at first glance(kinda wishing it was a remake and we would get the entirely new game for the next console but this is fine too)

This looks awesome! I wasn't expecting it to be an entirely new game I thought it was a remake at first glance(kinda wishing it was a remake and we would get the entirely new game for the next console but this is fine too)
I Just Hope Bowser ISN'T THE MAIN ANTAGONIST AGAIN. . . BECAUSE that's getting VERY old to see that happening in the Spin-off games; when that's what the Mainline Games are for!!

I Just Hope Bowser ISN'T THE MAIN ANTAGONIST AGAIN. . . BECAUSE that's getting VERY old to see that happening in the Spin-off games; when that's what the Mainline Games are for!!
He's the main villain of the franchise, of course he's going to be the villain in spin offs

It's gonna be interesting to see how Nintendo themselves do at making an M&L game now that AlphaDream's gone
As Long as Bowser doesn't become the Main Antagonist of an M&L Game for the 3rd Time in a Row; Because I'm getting sick of that

He's the main villain of the franchise, of course he's going to be the villain in spin offs
He wasn't the Main Antagonist in the FOLLOWING Spin-offs(and Rightfully so):

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
2. Super Paper Mario
3. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga(on GBA & on 3DS)
4. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
5. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story(On DS & 3DS)
6. Paper Mario: The Origami King
7. Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
8. Super Mario RPG(SNES & Switch)

Seriously; Spin-off games DON'T need to have Bowser be the main antagonist of them; BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THE MAINLINE SERIES ARE FOR;

Spin-off Games Can & SHOULD go in different directions; like Having Mario & Bowser Facing off against a Common Enemy; they've Done so Many times; Like in Bowser's Inside Story, like in The Origami King, & like in Sparks of Hope, or in Super Mario RPG

Last edited:
Just because he isn't the villain in those spinoffs doesn't mean that he can't be the villain in other spinoffs going forward
YES IT DOES;

BECAUSE IT'S BORING, IT'S PREDICTABLE; AND I'M ****ING SICK OF IT!!

Spin-offs AREN'T Meant to be One-to-one with The Mainline series;

Sure Bowser is the main antagonist of THOSE games; but the wonderful thing about Spin-offs; IS THAT THEY'RE ****ING ALLOWED TO BE DIFFERENT; LIKE HAVING SCENARIOS WHERE MARIO & BOWSER TEAM UP AGAINST A COMMON FOE

YES IT DOES;

BECAUSE IT'S BORING, IT'S PREDICTABLE; AND I'M ****ING SICK OF IT!!

Spin-offs AREN'T Meant to be One-to-one with The Mainline series;

Sure Bowser is the main antagonist of THOSE games; but the wonderful thing about Spin-offs; IS THAT THEY'RE ****ING ALLOWED TO BE DIFFERENT; LIKE HAVING SCENARIOS WHERE MARIO & BOWSER TEAM UP AGAINST A COMMON FOE
Saying the same thing about calming down, but this time with the moderator hat on. Tone it down or I'll take it a step further and move it to a warning. Using bold text and all caps is not going to help you get your feelings across

Anyway new M&L is absolutely wild and I'm thrilled for this to be my first switch purchase in around two years

I hope it's more like superstar saga with an emphasis on things not taking too long to get going, quick fluent attacks and not a bunch of dialogue heavy skits that aren't really all that funny.

I also wonder who is making this.

I hope it's more like superstar saga with an emphasis on things not taking too long to get going, quick fluent attacks and not a bunch of dialogue heavy skits that aren't really all that funny.

I also wonder who is making this.
At first I just assumed it would be Nintendo EPD or something but that doesn't make a lot of sense. I suppose there's a good chance it could be Intelligent Systems.

With a new Mario & Luigi game, I wonder if this game will have the following that previous games are wont to do:
  • Have a segment of solo Luigi whose role is to rescue a completely unavailable Mario
  • Bowser being the final boss
I think the second point is only a matter of time because the series has historically made Bowser differing parts of the final boss in one way or another, with how consistent (for lack of a better word) this series is.

Thank you for reading.

With a new Mario & Luigi game, I wonder if this game will have the following that previous games are wont to do:
  • Have a segment of solo Luigi whose role is to rescue a completely unavailable Mario
  • Bowser being the final boss
I think the second point is only a matter of time because the series has historically made Bowser differing parts of the final boss in one way or another, with how consistent (for lack of a better word) this series is.

Thank you for reading.
Partners in Time and Dream Team didn't have a solo Luigi part

I personally do hope that the main antagonist and final boss of this game is an original character, as I find stories with original villains more interesting and unique, and I think we already have enough instances of Bowser being the main villain as far as the Mario RPGs go (PM64 being my favourite version of Bowser as the main villain of an RPG, but others with Bowser as the main villain are Dream Team, Sticker Star, Colour Splash, and Paper Jam), and for those games that did have original villains, I often found that those were some of my favourite characters in the series, such as Kammy Koopa, Cackletta, Fawful, the Shroobs, Antasma, ?????, Bleck, Mimi, and Nastasia. Even outside of the RPGs, I often really appreciate a new villain, such as Grape and the Sour Bunch. Furthermore, I tend to be very fond of Bowser as a comical secondary antagonist, as he is in Partners in Time and Thousand-Year Door for instance, or even as a protagonist, as in Bowser's Inside Story and Super Mario RPG. I generally do feel that Mario games, and especially the RPGs, are best when they subvert vanilla Mario tropes and expand the boundaries of the familiar Mario world, and to that end having an original villain and final boss is nearly always a step in the right direction.

So far, we've seen original characters including the Extension Corps who certainly look like villains albeit it may be that they're just side villains or new underlings of Bowser. So I won't hold my breath, but given the general amount of refreshing originality seen in this game - as paralleled by recent releases including Princess Peach Showtime and Super Mario Bros. Wonder - as well as the fact that the newest non-remake Mario RPG, Origami King, despite being heavily affected by character restrictions, did have an original villain (King Olly), I think we've got a decent chance at an original villain in Brothership.

this game is so fucking refreshing for the series it genuinely feels like a reboot.

going back to the basics to focus on the aspect i care about the most with no major additional characters showcased just yet minus the titular partner character, nuking starlow for once, mario and luigi have mouths improving their expressions ten fold...

this is exactly all the things me and lefty talk about wanting it's crazy

also MORE KEVIN AFGHANI I LOVE HIM !!!! (i didn't notice martinet guy in the thread i swear im not trying to start shit 😭)

i wondered if mario & luigi would be coming back based on clips from mario wonder where kevin does the titular italian gibberish that was never seen outside the m&l series previously

Bowser being the final boss
I Sure Hope Not. . .

That was my least favorite part of Dream Team & Paper Jam. . .

I'm Not a fan of Bowser being the new "Hijacked By Ganon" trope ever since Dream Team

to where He even betrayed his Other self!!

Because If this is going to be a thing in every future M&L game. . .

there's a reason Why I didn't mind M&L not having any new games; and Having every new game since Dream Team having the main antagonist's be "Hijacked by Bowser" is probably the Biggest reason why I didn't want M&L to come back at all. . .
I personally do hope that the main antagonist and final boss of this game is an original character, as I find stories with original villains more interesting and unique, and I think we already have enough instances of Bowser being the main villain as far as the Mario RPGs go (PM64 being my favourite version of Bowser as the main villain of an RPG, but others with Bowser as the main villain are Dream Team, Sticker Star, Colour Splash, and Paper Jam), and for those games that did have original villains, I often found that those were some of my favourite characters in the series, such as Kammy Koopa, Cackletta, Fawful, the Shroobs, Antasma, ?????, Bleck, Mimi, and Nastasia. Even outside of the RPGs, I often really appreciate a new villain, such as Grape and the Sour Bunch. Furthermore, I tend to be very fond of Bowser as a comical secondary antagonist, as he is in Partners in Time and Thousand-Year Door for instance, or even as a protagonist, as in Bowser's Inside Story and Super Mario RPG. I generally do feel that Mario games, and especially the RPGs, are best when they subvert vanilla Mario tropes and expand the boundaries of the familiar Mario world, and to that end having an original villain and final boss is nearly always a step in the right direction.

So far, we've seen original characters including the Extension Corps who certainly look like villains albeit it may be that they're just side villains or new underlings of Bowser. So I won't hold my breath, but given the general amount of refreshing originality seen in this game - as paralleled by recent releases including Princess Peach Showtime and Super Mario Bros. Wonder - as well as the fact that the newest non-remake Mario RPG, Origami King, despite being heavily affected by character restrictions, did have an original villain (King Olly), I think we've got a decent chance at an original villain in Brothership.

I Agree; that's why I was not fond of Every New Non-remake M&L Game after Dream Team having the Plot Hijacked by Bowser becoming the main antagonist; We get enough of Bowser being the main antagonist from Vanilla Mainline Mario games; But what makes the Spin-offs stand out is Not following the Mainline Mario games so closely; Like Not having Bowser be the main antagonist(tbh; Bowser being the main antagonist of Paper Mario 64 is Why I'm not so fond of it as I am for TTYD, Super Paper Mario, & Even The Origami King; Because He's already the main antagonist of the Mainline series; the spin-offs shouldn't be as restrictive as the Mainline series; that's Why the Best Mario Spin-off games are the ones where Bowser isn't the main antagonist, nor does he Hijack the Plot like Ganon does in TLOZ; either being a secondary antagonist like in Partners in Time Or Thousand-year Door; or as an Ally of Mario against a common enemy; like Lord Smithy, Fawful, Cursa, Count Bleck, King Olly, etc) Because That's what the Mainline series is for, not the spin-offs; and If Bowser becomes the Main Antagonist AGAIN, after Dream Team & Paper Jam; M&L is even Deader to me than It already was; Because it'd be too boring, too Predictable, and too Same-y. . .

I Really hope M&L Doesn't rely on the same "Hijacked by Ganon" trope they used in Dream Team, that got stale after Paper Jam; but with Bowser instead of Ganon. . .

also MORE KEVIN AFGHANI I LOVE HIM !!!!
UGH. . . He Sounds even Worse to me than he did in SMB Wonder. . .

His new Voice just doesn't work for me like How Charles Martinet's iconic mario voice always had. . .

Why can't he just at least try to emulate the Iconic Mario voice established by Charles Martinet himself?!

Last edited:
Back