Mario & Luigi: Brothership

Oh my God I am so hyped for this it's been SO long since we had another Mario and Luigi game!

I think the complaints of Bowser frequently being the villain is a case of misplaced priorities, for the infamous Sticker Star, the complaints towards Bowser wasn't him being the main villain, it was the fact that he doesn't talk and doesn't get to show his bombastic personality from the other games, it wasn't a case of frequently being the villain, it was a case of a great villain being turned boring.
So let's say there is a new villain who is the main one and the final boss but is constantly complained about having nothing interesting about them while Bowser is also in the game and his villainous actions are considered a highlight, would it not be preferable for Bowser to be the main villain despite being constantly reoccurring? It's a case of what is done with the character for story potential, not a simple case of the character being new or preexisting

Still. Its nice to have a villain that's not Bowser every once in awhile, especially in Spin-offs. He's basically the only threat in the franchise and is in almost every Mario game to date, so seeing characters like Grodus or Princess Shroob definitely help the spin-offs stand out more, even if some of their personalities aren't that interesting.

I also want Mario not as the main protagonist of Mario & Luigi games every once in a while. Tired of seeing his fucking face, I want a completely new and original guy for a protagonist for the next Mario & Luigi game.

I also want Mario not as the main protagonist of Mario & Luigi games every once in a while. Tired of seeing his fucking face, I want a completely new and original guy for a protagonist for the next Mario & Luigi game.
Mario is the titular character of the franchise and one of the titular characters of this series, of course he's going to be the main protagonist for all these games, and Luigi takes the spotlight plenty of times as well.

Yeah but you know, they should change it up every once in a while to spice things up. It's boring having to use Mario in every Mario & Luigi game, we have the mainline games to play as Mario, enough is enough, people can use Mario in the quadrillion other Mario games out there already.

I think the complaints of Bowser frequently being the villain is a case of misplaced priorities, for the infamous Sticker Star, the complaints towards Bowser wasn't him being the main villain, it was the fact that he doesn't talk
Meanwhile, on a related note, it's a mild letdown that we're getting ANOTHER companion character here. The kind of character that steals voices. *looks at Stella from Princess Peach Showtime*

Make Mario and Luigi talk in full dialogue bubbles you cowards

Yeah but you know, they should change it up every once in a while to spice things up. It's boring having to use Mario in every Mario & Luigi game, we have the mainline games to play as Mario, enough is enough, people can use Mario in the quadrillion other Mario games out there already.
Well you're directing that complaint to the wrong series then. Playing as both Mario and Luigi together is what the series has always been about, Mario may be playable in tons of other games but this is one series he cannot be thrown out of entirely.

I'm being facetious the entire time.

My overarching point is that it's ridiculous to complain about Bowser being the main antagonist of a Mario game when he's the main antagonist of the series, when execution of the villain and his roles is what's far more important than a new guy. When you have a new antagonist who is sloppily executed and is very milquetoast and boring (like Sir Grodus and the X-Naughts, or the Tikis from DKCR), you just want the more familiar, developed, established villain back instead. Hence why I brought up the ridiculous suggestion to complain about Mario being the main protagonist because that has always been consistent and no one seems to care you control Mario the entire time in a Mario game. Bowser being the villain wasn't the problem of Sticker Star, it was Sticker Star having a barebones story and characterization of him that made him boring.

I legit don't get complaining about Mario characters appearing in Mario games. Why are you playing Mario games if you're complaining about Mario characters appearing in them in central roles.

Let's not mock people for their preference one way or the other. It's not like it's farfetched, Bowser has actually been the main antagonist of a small minority of the RPGs anyway, so naturally a lot of people are going to have fond memories of games where Bowser isn't the main villain. Regardless of your opinions on the execution of those other villains, there's no need to demean people and say they're being ridiculous for a preference. No need to turn this into a one is wrong and one is right scenario. We're all just here to enjoy Mario, let's be chill about this. It's a moot point anyway because Bowser's an ally in this game if marketing so far is to be believed.

Anyway, back on topic... I haven't posted here yet, so Mario & Luigi's back! That's cool. I didn't expect it to happen (at least not this soon), especially with the SMRPG and TTYD remakes being fresh releases. Nintendo really likes Mario RPGs right now I guess.

Let's not mock people for their preference one way or the other.
She's probably directing her hostility toward Mario with me in mind anyway :p All this exposure to Mario's face without a proper vaccine rots the brain.

And my brain also tells me that Kevin's voice is good and I want to hear more of it. As some people said, they even forgot there's a recast. I certainly did go "Hey that's Kevin again yay" and then I promptly forgot about it because I was too distracted in disbelief at the existence of this game. Kind of wonder if Kevin is gonna pull off the Italian gibberish here (didn't he do this in Wonder or am I misremembering a Luigi line).

And also I guess hearing Kevin in that Jamboree game (a.k.a. Waluigi's new voice) is going to have to wait because Kevin is apparently not in that one. That's so weird.

I'm not trying to demean anyone or insinuating they have ridiculous opinions. Sometimes, change for the sake of change is bad, and people like villains like Fawful or the Super Paper Mario villains is precisely because of what they bring to the table to change things up but other times, you get underdeveloped characters who are just diet Bowser like the X-Naughts that have a lot of missed potential that make you kinda wish they just used Bowser again.

If I came across as that, then I should reword my posts more respectfully, and I apologize if I come across as condescending.

If I came across as that, then I should reword my posts more respectfully, and I apologize if I come across as condescending.
It kind of did. You should've probably just made it clear you were constructing an analogy to get your point across. I almost didn't get what you were saying too like it did seem like you're genuinely hostile about Mario because, let's be honest, you do sometimes act this way.

it did seem like you're genuinely hostile about Mario because, let's be honest, you do sometimes act this way.
It's because I don't like Mario or Luigi as characters; my favorite Mario games are those where you don't have to play as them.

I'm being facetious the entire time.

My overarching point is that it's ridiculous to complain about Bowser being the main antagonist of a Mario game when he's the main antagonist of the series, when execution of the villain and his roles is what's far more important than a new guy. When you have a new antagonist who is sloppily executed and is very milquetoast and boring (like Sir Grodus and the X-Naughts, or the Tikis from DKCR), you just want the more familiar, developed, established villain back instead. Hence why I brought up the ridiculous suggestion to complain about Mario being the main protagonist because that has always been consistent and no one seems to care you control Mario the entire time in a Mario game. Bowser being the villain wasn't the problem of Sticker Star, it was Sticker Star having a barebones story and characterization of him that made him boring.

I legit don't get complaining about Mario characters appearing in Mario games. Why are you playing Mario games if you're complaining about Mario characters appearing in them in central roles.
Except, Mario is the protagonist in a game called Mario and Luigi. That argument doesn't work when the game is about the protagonist. You can't take Luigi out of Luigi's Mansion or Yoshi out of Yoshi game, but you can make new villains for newer entries to spice things up. Every Mario game needs Mario, but not every Mario game needs Bowser as the main baddie.

Last edited:
Idk man there's Mega Man X7 where Mega Man isn't even the main star of it. Not saying something like that will happen with Mario (Mega Man X7 is also notoriously awful) but that's not really the point of my post.

Mcmadness said this before but like, if Bowser wasn't the main antagonist, I kinda wish he just doesn't appear at all. He was a throwaway character in Partners in Time aside from that one boss battle where he teamed up with Baby Bowser and Shrowser is an awful boss fight, it did took away from what the focus should be entirely Shroobs.

Super excited for Brothership Bros.! The idea of a home-console Mario & Luigi game has always been alluring, so hopefully this recaptures the heights of the series. It's also really cool timing to follow up the SMRPG and PM remakes with an original title (I guess they already spent the Bowser's Inside Story remake, to say the least). Hopefully this is where Mario RPGs start properly coexisting and firing on all cylinders.

They really bungled the artstyle, though. Luigi's supposed to be teal

Super excited for Brothership Bros.! The idea of a home-console Mario & Luigi game has always been alluring, so hopefully this recaptures the heights of the series. It's also really cool timing to follow up the SMRPG and PM remakes with an original title (I guess they already spent the Bowser's Inside Story remake, to say the least). Hopefully this is where Mario RPGs start properly coexisting and firing on all cylinders.

They really bungled the artstyle, though. Luigi's supposed to be teal
Luigi hasn't been teal since Dream Team.

Mcmadness said this before but like, if Bowser wasn't the main antagonist, I kinda wish he just doesn't appear at all. He was a throwaway character in Partners in Time aside from that one boss battle where he teamed up with Baby Bowser and Shrowser is an awful boss fight, it did took away from what the focus should be entirely Shroobs.

Pretty much. Luigi's Mansion (for the most part) Princess Peach Showtime and Super Mario Land 1 and 2 show you can have other villains be a thing and just not have Bowser there at all.

Back