Mario & Luigi: Brothership

Starlow is nowhere to be seen.

I also want Mario not as the main protagonist of Mario & Luigi games every once in a while. Tired of seeing

Not necessarily saying I'm Starlow fans, but I'd still point out M&L used to have some continuity that Paper series and others don't necessarily have. This is a nice detail loved by its old fans.

The problem is, if Nintendo want M&L series to go with the Paper routine (in terms of independent story per game) and don't mention most past M&L characters from now on, the duo brotherhood would be even more pointless for this line, since Paper Mario used to change its entire party cast for each game.

I just feel it's a huge waste to never see more duo combinations for the M&L system to make best use. It'd be awesome to see how Mario&Peach or Bowser father&son works as fighting duos.

Last edited:
Super excited for Brothership Bros.! The idea of a home-console Mario & Luigi game has always been alluring, so hopefully this recaptures the heights of the series. It's also really cool timing to follow up the SMRPG and PM remakes with an original title (I guess they already spent the Bowser's Inside Story remake, to say the least). Hopefully this is where Mario RPGs start properly coexisting and firing on all cylinders.

They really bungled the artstyle, though. Luigi's supposed to be teal
"Brothership Bros."?

I've pre-ordered nearly every game I have on my Switch through eshop and it's never been a problem.
It's not usually Nintendo's style to have launch day disasters or game breaking bug on day 1, but it's also not worth the risk/hassle or dropping full price for an ultimately disappointing game.

It's not usually Nintendo's style to have launch day disasters or game breaking bug on day 1, but it's also not worth the risk/hassle or dropping full price for an ultimately disappointing game.
Yeah you're right but we won't really know if it's good or not until we play it for ourselves. Let's just hope that Nintendo is capable of making good Mario and Luigi RPG games on its own now. We'll have to see. Then again you probably were presenting a theoretical "if it's disappointing" scenario. Personally though I have high hopes. I actually don't plan to buy it; I just plan to watch a longplay for it when it comes out on YouTube.

would it not be preferable for Bowser to be the main villain despite being constantly reoccurring
NO!:

Because We Get enough of that in the Mainline games;

The Spin-offs are allowed to do away with that; and Have Him team up with his Archnemesis against a Common Foe;

Because I Get sick of Bowser having the same Role in the Spin-offs over & Over;

Ever since Dream Team; Bowser's been the main antagonist in the M&L Games. . . at least that's how it appeared with Paper Jam. . .

Thankfully; according to the European Website; that trend has FINALLY been broken!!

Eh it's fine if they self censor themselves.
Thank you!
And my brain also tells me that Kevin's voice is good
and Mine says it still doesn't work for me; and Will never be good enough as long as he doesn't make his voice for mario sound more like the one Charles Martinet had done for 27 years

Mario Doesn't sound like Mario; unless either Voiced by Charles Martinet, or his voice is clearly modeled to sound like the Iconic voice that Charles Martinet gave to all of his Performances as Mario; like Raphael Rossatto's voice in the Brazillian Dub of the Mario Movie[I love that he made Mario sound like ****ing Mario in Brazil; and Not like Emmett Brickowski doing a Rocket Raccoon Impersonation like the stinker we got in English]

Last edited:
Not necessarily saying I'm Starlow fans, but I'd still point out M&L used to have some continuity that Paper series and others don't necessarily have. This is a nice detail loved by its old fans.

The problem is, if Nintendo want M&L series to go with the Paper routine (in terms of independent story per game) and don't mention most past M&L characters from now on, the duo brotherhood would be even more poitless for this line, since Paper Mario used to change its entire party cast for each game.

I just feel it's a huge waste to never see more duo combinations for the M&L system to make best use. It'd be awesome to see how Mario&Peach or Bowser father&son works as fighting duos.
I actually had a game idea for that called,"Mix and Match".

That's... Only two games?

That's... Only two games?
Yeah; In the Mario & Luigi Games;

in the Other Mario RPGs;

Bowser is the Main Antagonist in:

1. Paper Mario 64

2. Paper Mario: Sticker Star

3. Paper Mario: Color Splash

And that's why I Don't care for those as much as the Spin-off Mario games that DON'T have Bowser as the Primary Antagonist;

Games like:

I. Super Mario RPG

II. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

III. Super Paper Mario

IV. Paper Mario: The Origami King

V. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

VI. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

VII. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

VIII. Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope

Bowser isn't the villain in Color Splash, he's controlled against his will by the actual villain
Even so; It's still Bowser; controlled against his will or not; Bowser as the main antagonist is STILL Bowser as the main antagonist; It still ****ing counts; and HE'S The Reason that everything bad happened in the game; Because HE'S The One who created the Black Ink!!

I actually had a game idea for that called,"Mix and Match".

Honestly. . . I Wish We'd FINALLY get a Mario & Luigi game where you ALSO play as Wario & Waluigi!!

Last edited:
Bowser isn't the villain in Color Splash, he's controlled against his will by the actual villain
They've done this before, too…
Kamek: Hold On Mario!!!! Normally, Bowser would never want to destroy the entire planet! He just wants to rule it! The Orb of Power has taken control of him! It's Orb of Power that wants the world to be destroyed forever!

People on this thread were earlier talking about how they don't like Starlow and think she is mean to Luigi. Is that actually true? I'm playing Bowser's Inside Story and haven't seen any of that yet, but maybe she's mean later on; I don't know.

People on this thread were earlier talking about how they don't like Starlow and think she is mean to Luigi. Is that actually true? I'm playing Bowser's Inside Story and haven't seen any of that yet, but maybe she's mean later on; I don't know.
Starlow is mostly infamous for all of the tutorials she forces onto the player. This was the case in Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team especially. She was also annoyed from/mean to Luigi in the earlier games too.

Starlow is mostly infamous for all of the tutorials she forces onto the player. This was the case in Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team especially. She was also annoyed from/mean to Luigi in the earlier games too.
Hmm...was the player unable to skip them? They should have allowed them to skip them if they didn't want to do them. Like, you could press the R button to make her talk faster, but that was it. Yeah actually no you can't skip them. That must have been annoying.

Hmm...was the player unable to skip them? They should have allowed them to skip them if they didn't want to do them. Like, you could press the R button to make her talk faster, but that was it. Yeah actually no you can't skip them. That must have been annoying.
You can't just skip through her dialogue in the original Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team. Fast-forwarding wasn't a thing until Paper Jam.

Not 100% sure if this is true or not, but I've heard this rumour that Brothership is being developed by ILCA, who developed the Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl remakes.

But that said I don't think those would be the reasons if she's indeed not in the upcoming game.
One is, I believe she can easily get proper positive development if the writers want too. So the problem for past M&L games was, she didn't have a very proper own story arc for people to believe she's mean but both reliable and charming just like Wario bros. Like, even Olivia can beat her down with just one game.
The other is we'd have a different character force us to do the tutorials, so removing her basically doesn't help. What players want is always just a skip option.

The overall reason if NIntendo decide to erase her, probably like Toadsworth case, is they'd have to treat her as an actual main cast but they now feel bothered to do that only because they personally don't care enough.

Last edited:
Not 100% sure if this is true or not, but I've heard this rumour that Brothership is being developed by ILCA, who developed the Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl remakes.
wow i cant believe the pokemon games didn't allow for the full potential of the studio to be realized! who woulda thunk...

but also the only source the article uses is someone's twitter thread with zero first hand evidence and even the tweeter says "wait for a full video" sooo

I've played Brilliant Diamond and I liked the game (probably because I didn't play the original). This game already looks to be 1,000,000 times better.

But that said I don't think those would be the reasons if she's indeed not in the upcoming game.
One is, I believe she can easily get proper positive development if the writers want too. So the problem for past M&L games was, she didn't have a very proper own story arc for people to believe she's mean but both reliable and charming just like Wario bros. Like, even Olivia can beat her down with just one game.
The other is we'd have a different character force us to do the tutorials, so removing her basically doesn't help. What players want is always just a skip option.

The overall reason if NIntendo decide to erase her, probably like Toadsworth case, is they'd have to treat her as an actual main cast but they now feel bothered to do that only because they personally don't care enough.
I think the reason they got rid of her is just to give us a new tutorial character. Before BIS we've had different guide characters like the Starshade bros. or Stuffwell and I think that's what their trying to go back to.

wow i cant believe the pokemon games didn't allow for the full potential of the studio to be realized! who woulda thunk...

but also the only source the article uses is someone's twitter thread with zero first hand evidence and even the tweeter says "wait for a full video" sooo
And even the person who made that tweet admits they aren't 100% sure it's ILCA and advises taking it with a grain of salt

Back