General Science Discussion Thread!

But its a breakthrough we can plant vegetables live of vegetable as we breed animals and plant trees which will convert carbon dioxide into oxygen for us to breath!

Dr. Javelin said:
Europa, yes. But we already have plenty of water here! That's no good for making money.

...unless I started a business selling people Europan water that was exactly the same as Earth water. They'll just by it because SPACE

Oh, the 20's. You do so make me cry.

http://www.periodictable.com/Items/090.8/index.html

That's not why cloning is banned. We "play God" all the time. Aside from perceived ethical and moral issues, we don't understand the effects of cloning well enough to safely experiment with it (at least I believe that's the reason).

A lot less people care when you fuck up and destroy some sheep embryos than when you obliterate some human embryos. Things don't work perfectly on the first try and there will be mistakes.

Perhaps someone should consult basic wikipedia and google search results before asking questions. It helps with discussions, with the added bonus of not getting your information from overly-opinionated and misinformed 16-year olds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_cloning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics_of_cloning

Morty said:
Perhaps someone should consult basic wikipedia and google search results before asking questions. It helps with discussions, with the added bonus of not getting your information from overly-opinionated and misinformed 16-year olds.
i'm offended

i'll be 18 in a couple months

ernesth100 said:
But what could possibly go wrong. We clone animals...right? cloned sheep are real right?

do you know how ridiculously hard it is to clone something, though?

for every successful clone, there are something like 32 failed ones. and that's on a good day.

i'm pretty sure most scientists aren't willing to try that with a ludicrously-complex being like a human.

Morty said:
A lot less people care when you *bleep* up and destroy some sheep embryos than when you obliterate some human embryos. Things don't work perfectly on the first try and there will be mistakes.
Also, other ethical issues include the following:

Will the clone be treated like a human being? How will it act?
What if the clone is created solely for organ replacement?
And what if the clone is discovered to have a malady as a result from cloning? Will it be okay to kill it?

There are many ethical issues of artificial human cloning.

The only human cloning that generally works is twins. ;)

So sometime I'm thinking about growing some bismuth crystals. The problem is that bismuth metal, while not terribly pricey, is still some serious coin to drop for a little science project.

The end results are amazing, though. Just do a quick Google images search.

Also, another metal worth acquiring would be gallium. Stuff is so fun to play with. It melts in your hand and rolls around a bit like mercury.

Sadly, it doesn't have the same feel as mercury; it's a bit sticky (and can stain your hand black).

I saw a cool little deal where a guy cast some gallium in the shape of a key so he could melt it on demand.

Secret agent level stuff, there.

It's pretty evenly divided I think among who people thought won the debate: Bill Nye or the Australian guy.

I don't think either of them "won". I think they both presented their sides rather well, considering Bill Nye was on enemy territory and Ken Ham was sticking with his young Earth creationism theory.

I've never really understood Ken Ham's organization. Isn't the whole point of Christianity about spreading the good news about Christ's sacrifice and how to be redeemed of your sins and enter into a personal relationship with God? Where does coming up with explanations for God's teachings factor into that? But hey, maybe God told him to for some reason. I don't know, it doesn't really matter.

ernesth100 said:
Something in science that is forbidden to do. Like cloning humans cause its playing god.

In an argument, "Playing God" is a tricky one to use to convince your opponents, as it's irrevelant to some of them as they may not believe not a word about god.

I can see the argument against human cloning but what about cloning a heart or a liver? Wouldn't that be a good thing?

Growing organs is already a thing. One method is with stem cells which is also controversial because reasons. Google it.

Back