Why I don't care for Super Paper Mario

Mcmadness said:
Lumastar said:
Mcmadness said:
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS said:
You do know that most people consider SPM to be the peak of the series, story wise? True most people prefer TTYD but that was because it had more fun gameplay and a great story too. But if there was a game with SPM's story and TTYD's gameplay that would likely be hailed as the best Paper Mario. SPM actually has a fanbase, shocking I know.

And yet despite your condescending point you completely missed the fact that most people aren't demanding a sequel to its story.

Also I as I said earlier, don't really care what people say about it.
I'm pretty sure he didn't mention continuing SPM's story that time.

He's pointing out its fanbase to grasp as the idea there are enough people who want a sequel when there really isn't.
I would definitely prefer a successor to TTYD, but a SPM sequel wouldn't be a bad idea. It's not the best idea, but it's not a bad idea either.

Pretty sure more people disliked Sticker Star when it released than SPM, which at least kept most of the traditions of the series: general enemy designs, Merlon, Pit of 100 trials, etc. The reason SPM was disliked wasn't its story (only a minority actually flat-out disliked that) it was the fact that it was an action RPG rather than a turn-based one.
This, and it wasn't a bad action RPG.

Ninelevendo said:
Ninelevendo said:
If more people wanted a sequel to SPM's story than the people that hated it, Sticker Star would at least mention the events in SPM.
Sticker Star barely mentioned the first two games, not a good example. It DID reference SPM at one point: The Toad in Decalburg who says Bowser crumpled him 256 times, referring to that running gag in SPM.
What running gag? I didn't pick that up at all. Even if it "barely" mentioned the first two games, it still referenced them.
I wish that there had been just a few more references. I searched for about thirty minutes in the dump in the jungle world for the letter mentioning Parakarry on my first playthrough of Sticker Star. Let that stand for something.

Ninelevendo said:
Ninelevendo said:
If more people wanted a sequel to SPM's story than the people that hated it, Sticker Star would at least mention the events in SPM.
Sticker Star barely mentioned the first two games, not a good example. It DID reference SPM at one point: The Toad in Decalburg who says Bowser crumpled him 256 times, referring to that running gag in SPM.
What running gag? I didn't pick that up at all. Even if it "barely" mentioned the first two games, it still referenced them.
Dimentio: "This dimension makes me 256 times more powerful"
Flint Cragley's crew member: "Cragley tell that story 255 times, brah" Other crew member: "If you count time we weren't tied up, then it 256 times"
And some other instances I can't remember right now. Note: Quotes aren't exact, I just typed them how I remembered them.

Pretty sure more people disliked Sticker Star when it released than SPM, which at least kept most of the traditions of the series: general enemy designs, Merlon, Pit of 100 trials, etc. The reason SPM was disliked wasn't its story (only a minority actually flat-out disliked that) it was the fact that it was an action RPG rather than a turn-based one.

None of which changes the fact there still isn't much demand for a story sequel to SPM's plot.

The reason SPM was disliked wasn't its story (only a minority actually flat-out disliked that) it was the fact that it was an action RPG rather than a turn-based one.

that's an incredibly ----ty reason to dislike Super Paper Mario

"oh no now we actually have to attack in real time instead of patiently waiting for our turn, paper mario ruined gaiz!"

Baby Luigi said:
The reason SPM was disliked wasn't its story (only a minority actually flat-out disliked that) it was the fact that it was an action RPG rather than a turn-based one.

that's an incredibly ----ty reason to dislike Super Paper Mario

"oh no now we actually have to attack in real time instead of patiently waiting for our turn, paper mario ruined gaiz!"
Yes, exactly.

Action RPG's are actually funner imo

Mcmadness said:

None of which changes the fact there still isn't much demand for a story sequel to SPM's plot.
I always thought the most legit criticism was that it strayed a bit far from the Paper Mario formula, and it failed to continue on what made Paper Mario so great. Not because it was an action RPG. Also, the gameplay is pretty weak.

I've read several reviews (IGN, NintendoLife, GameTrailers, NintendoWorldReport). Granted, I've skimmed through them, but none of them cited the story as a positive aspect of the game. They didn't cite it as a negative thing either. All they did was praise the gameplay and the graphics and the world, there's little to no mention of the story in these reviews. You think if it was more important, they'd talk about it more and even list it as either a pro or a con, but nope, nothing.

Back