Why I don't care for Super Paper Mario

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS said:
Obviously your opinion differs from the developers then, because they created the dang game.

The exception doesn't make it the rule or a good thing, it just makes it all the more jarring and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Its not an opinion, it is a fact that this series is not about dramatic stories, one game isn't going to change that.

Mcmadness said:
Mcmadness said:
Again, some people like the more large-scale and dramatic plot.

Again, they are playing the wrong series.
You can't just blatantly say that a section of the fanbase is playing the wrong series. There's nothing wrong with liking cartoony platform type games with large scale dramatic storylines.

Yes I can, because thats not even remotely what the series is about. If you are looking for dramatic story lines then this is the wrong series to be playing.
Dude...

Are you like unfamiliar with like most of the Mario RPG's? Their plots go really deep compared to most of the games.

Rosalina and Luma said:
Mcmadness said:
Mcmadness said:
Again, some people like the more large-scale and dramatic plot.

Again, they are playing the wrong series.
You can't just blatantly say that a section of the fanbase is playing the wrong series. There's nothing wrong with liking cartoony platform type games with large scale dramatic storylines.

Yes I can, because thats not even remotely what the series is about. If you are looking for dramatic story lines then this is the wrong series to be playing.
Dude...

Are you like unfamiliar with like most of the Mario RPG's? Their plots go really deep compared to most of the games.

First off, thats not saying much, 2nd most of them really aren't very dramatic, mostly just this game. The rest have a tone that fits in well with the light hearted nature of the franchise.

By that, I meant that they were well done and are pretty deep for Mario's standards, but whatever.

arguing with someone on the internet never works for me

Rosalina and Luma said:
By that, I meant that they were well done and are pretty deep for Mario's standards, but whatever.

I've heard people say that many times before and my response is always the same. Saying they are deep by mario standards means absolutely fuck all because ultimately they are still very simple stories with basic but entertaining characters.

Mcmadness said:
Rosalina and Luma said:

I've heard people say that many times before and my response is always the same. Saying they are deep by mario standards means absolutely fuck all because ultimately they are still very simple stories with basic but entertaining characters.
Quoting myself again:

"arguing with someone on the internet never works for me"
Which is basically this whole thread.

No one's changed their mind about jack shit, so why even bother anymore?

Why does it matter if they are "about" the stories. Why can't he enjoy it for whatever reason he wants?

Melee wasn't intended to be a hardcore fighter but many people enjoy it as one. Just look at things like EVO that get thousands of people hyped.

GalacticPetey said:
Why does it matter if they are "about" the stories. Why can't he enjoy it for whatever reason he wants?

Melee wasn't intended to be a hardcore fighter but many people enjoy it as one. Just look at things like EVO that get thousands of people hyped.
this too

I was never trying to change anyone's mind. Just ranting my very vocal dislike.

Besides its fun.

GalacticPetey said:

Never said he couldn't, but I put my foot down whenever he says the rest of the series should be more like it.

Well excuse me for wanting a true sequel to one of my favorite games.

Not my fault your favourite game is the exact opposite of what this series is like.

Mcmadness said:

Not my fault your favourite game is the exact opposite of what this series is like.
If they did it once, they can do it again.

Hell, they brought Fawful back thrice, I don't see why a sequel to a game is a problem.
personally i want a pit sequel more than a spm sequel (even though spm's my favourite) but whatever to each their own

Rosalina and Luma said:
Mcmadness said:

If they did it once, they can do it again.

Hell, they brought Fawful back thrice, I don't see why a sequel to a game is a problem.
personally i want a pit sequel more than a spm sequel (even though spm's my favourite) but whatever to each their own

Fawful was brought back due to popularity, SPM doesn't exactly have a lot of people clamouring for a sequel.

Not to the platforming gameplay, but I'm sure most would agree that a story-sequel to SPM with the gameplay style of the first two would be nearly perfection.

Not to the platforming gameplay, but I'm sure most would agree that a story-sequel to SPM with the gameplay style of the first two would be nearly perfection.

In general. A sequel to its plot isn't exactly high on the fanbase's want list.

You do know that most people consider SPM to be the peak of the series, story wise? True most people prefer TTYD but that was because it had more fun gameplay and a great story too. But if there was a game with SPM's story and TTYD's gameplay that would likely be hailed as the best Paper Mario. SPM actually has a fanbase, shocking I know.

You do know that most people consider SPM to be the peak of the series, story wise? True most people prefer TTYD but that was because it had more fun gameplay and a great story too. But if there was a game with SPM's story and TTYD's gameplay that would likely be hailed as the best Paper Mario. SPM actually has a fanbase, shocking I know.
I would definitely take this over Sticker Star.

And yet despite your condescending point you completely missed the fact that most people aren't demanding a sequel to its story.

Also I as I said earlier, don't really care what people say about it.

Mcmadness said:

And yet despite your condescending point you completely missed the fact that most people aren't demanding a sequel to its story.

I'm pretty sure he didn't mention continuing SPM's story that time.

Lumastar said:
Mcmadness said:

I'm pretty sure he didn't mention continuing SPM's story that time.

He's pointing out its fanbase to grasp as the idea there are enough people who want a sequel when there really isn't.

A game with TTYD's gameplay (and a little bit of SPM's gameplay thrown in neatly would be nice) would be great, but the majority of peoples reactions to SPM's storyline is what we see in Sticker Star.

Pretty sure more people disliked Sticker Star when it released than SPM, which at least kept most of the traditions of the series: general enemy designs, Merlon, Pit of 100 trials, etc. The reason SPM was disliked wasn't its story (only a minority actually flat-out disliked that) it was the fact that it was an action RPG rather than a turn-based one.

If more people wanted a sequel to SPM's story than the people that hated it, Sticker Star would at least mention the events in SPM.

Ninelevendo said:
If more people wanted a sequel to SPM's story than the people that hated it, Sticker Star would at least mention the events in SPM.
Sticker Star barely mentioned the first two games, not a good example. It DID reference SPM at one point: The Toad in Decalburg who says Bowser crumpled him 256 times, referring to that running gag in SPM.

Ninelevendo said:
Sticker Star barely mentioned the first two games, not a good example. It DID reference SPM at one point: The Toad in Decalburg who says Bowser crumpled him 256 times, referring to that running gag in SPM.
What running gag? I didn't pick that up at all. Even if it "barely" mentioned the first two games, it still referenced them.

Back