Mario pictures

Princess Zelda said:
*img*

I think Peach looks great in that outfit.

I miss these Peach posts. They make me truly feel A51's presence.

peachshair.PNG

Is it me, or is Peach's hair clipping through her character model?

Or is it normal for hair to look like that's happening?

Her hair needs a collision model (and Peach in general) so it doesn't do that.

Baby Luigi said:
Her hair needs a collision model (and Peach in general) so it doesn't do that.

I do know that MMD models have access to a physics feature that can be used to keep hair and certain clothes from going through a person's body. However, the hair could still go through the arms or legs.

Julia-BM said:
Alex95 said:
Happens in Smash, too. That's the problem with solid hair :P
Doesn't that happen with Inkling Girl's tentacles in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, when she rides a bike/ATV?

Haven't played Deluxe, but generally when you have a flowing object, such as hair or capes, it tends to go through things if it doesn't have an animation attached to it.

I'm still wondering, how much is it computationally intensive to add intra-model collisions (and also collisions between models related to the playable character, such as the character and the tools or vehicles they are using) to avoid clipping like these ones? No matter the developers (Nintendo, SEGA, Ubisoft Milan), I'm still seeing objects like hair and cuffs happily clipping, with Mario Kart being a notorious case due to the characters clipping through parts of vehicles or the road (good luck seeing some Koopalings' tails when they ride bikes!)

Mister Wu said:
I'm still wondering, how much is it computationally intensive to add intra-model collisions (and also collisions between models related to the playable character, such as the character and the tools or vehicles they are using) to avoid clipping like these ones? No matter the developers (Nintendo, SEGA, Ubisoft Milan), I'm still seeing objects like hair and cuffs happily clipping, with Mario Kart being a notorious case due to the characters clipping through parts of vehicles or the road (good luck seeing some Koopalings' tails when they ride bikes!)

At least it's good knowing that Rosalina is thin enough to not clip through most kart bodies. I can't say the same for her dress sleeves, however, as they do clip through the steering wheel.

I don't think the characters themselves have any collision to them, could be wrong. Most of the collision seems to be on the karts, with the characters sort of "tied" to it. Too much collision between the karts and the characters within could result in some weird animations.

If they had a collision, they'd just be a big box around the kart and the character model. Since there aren't ragdoll physics, there's no need to have a very defined one.

MnSG said:
winstein said:
Looks like how Puyo Puyo Tetris translates some of their onomatopoeia-based dialogue: they used words to describe what the character is portraying.

JhSQaib.png

Thank you for reading.

After comparing your signature to that screenshot, the art style definitely looks the same.

Yep, it's the artstyle that's signature to the Puyo Puyo games, ever since Sega has taken over the franchise! I love this artstyle because it's very stylish and exudes a lot of character compared to how the Puyo Puyo artstyle looked before Sega is fully committed to the franchise (let's just say it has a more generic anime look).

Thank you for reading.

Baby Luigi said:
If they had a collision, they'd just be a big box around the kart and the character model. Since there aren't ragdoll physics, there's no need to have a very defined one.
Looks at
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragdoll_physics
Finds GTA V

I find it funny how you had already found one of the most likely answers as to why model replacement in GTA V works so well and you kept it "hidden" until now ;)
Does this mean that GTA V using ragdoll physics is already able to recalculate the animations and collisions using just the 3D model and its standard rigging? Or you had to provide also the collision model in your mod?

Anyway, good to know that someone already thought about it. It's surely an interesting first step in the right direction, in my opinion.

Mister Wu said:
I find it funny how you had already found one of the most likely answers as to why model replacement in GTA V works so well and you kept it "hidden" until now ;)

Does this mean that GTA V using ragdoll physics is already able to recalculate the animations and collisions using just the 3D model and its standard rigging? Or you had to provide also the collision model in your mod?

Anyway, good to know that someone already thought about it. It's surely an interesting first step in the right direction, in my opinion.

I think the way GTA V is structured, you can have a huge variety of different character proportions without messing up animations, since I think the game just takes account of rotations when it comes to animations rather than calculating bone placement. It makes it far easier to have a template system with animations that can work for any proportioned bones, and hence why the process of creating a huge variety peds of varying builds and sizes are eased. In other games, you absolutely have to make the model fit the preset bones due to set animations where keyframes also read from the position of the bones AND rotations, and it's the bane of a model-importer's existence. If it weren't for that, Baby Luigi over a ped in GTA V wouldn't be possible unless he has adult human proportions. In Left 4 Dead 2, you can have custom-proportioned characters only if you input a command in the .qc file that subtracts bone placements from original to your edited one. You could do the same thing with Super Smash Bros. Brawl via automatic bone editing in Brawl Box, but it takes more steps to do than Left 4 Dead 2.

In fact, the ragdoll is the reason Baby Luigi isn't perfect in GTA V

CxEtMu1.jpg

This is what happens whenever he ragdolls, either getting knocked down or falling to his death. The arms and spine revert to their original proportions when he ragdolls (though the legs are unaffected). Its at its most noticeable with smaller, stubbier characters like him; Mario isn't as badly stretched as he is. The ragdoll physics, aside from the horribly bad proportions, actually works out pretty fine otherwise. Oh, and also, when Baby Luigi is fishing, he also has very stretched arms, so it's not simply him dying or flopping off a cliff when he gets badly proportioned.

by the way, I didn't have to make a collision model to make Baby Luigi work fine. The collision model, however, uses the default set, meaning I can't walk under low areas even though it appears I could due to my height, and I typically clip through the ground at points because of his unorthodox size.

5a05e9701cc17.jpg

welll.... it's a start, by another modder

Mario throws Cappy so he can harvest their body parts later on... close enough.

Bowser's next plot should be tricking everyone by disguising himself as a parade prop while the small Bowser waving his arms is a just a distracting animatronic decoy.

It will work of course.

Where does that taunt even come from anyway?

Back