Fun facts

It actually does sound believable, it could just be another one of the governments forcible attempts to educate everyone.

which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing
considering how little is required to be considered literate

Drift said:
It actually does sound believable, it could just be another one of the governments forcible attempts to educate everyone.
But that would lead to them becoming educated which would lead to them rising up against the government which is why the North Korean government already exiled all the smart people

The CIA's factbook even says so:
Korea, North definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 100%
male: 100%
female: 100% (2008 est.)
and their rate for South Korea:
Korea, South definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 97.9%
male: 99.2%
female: 96.6% (2002)

[quote author=askmen.com]
North Korea has a 99% literacy rate
A literacy rate is defined by what percentage of the population over the age of 15 can read and write. Despite just 11 years of compulsory education and a recent history of catastrophic famine that would otherwise interrupt a child's education, the CIA believes that North Korea's literacy rate is equal to that of the U.S., the UK and dozens of other countries, and far better than over 100 others. Dictatorial leadership masquerading as some form of Marxism does seem to produce high literacy rates, as both the CIA and the United Nations cite Cuba as having the highest or second highest literacy rate in the world.
[/quote]
It seems all communist governments force citizens to read.

soviet union didn't
at least later on

regardless, literacy rate doesn't mean overall intelligence, it means who can read and write
which it really should be 100% ;) (obviously with allowance for special circumstances)

Another true one: The rock group Chicago was founded in 1967 as The Big Thing and shortly afterwards changed their name to Chicago Transit Authority, but after complaints from the actual public transit company, it was shortened to their current name: just "Chicago".

In the musical play "Chicago", Mary Sunshine is actually revealed to be a transexual near the end of the play. This was ommited for the movie version, which was released in 2002 and won the Academy Award for Best Picture.

I mean, the reveal was pretty much just for comedic relief anyway, it wasn't important to the plot or anything.

S(he) even had a whole song to herself that was ommitted as well, though they got the idea that the song was trying to convey well enough without it.

while I find it annoying how LGBT people are so often omitted at every possible chance, I also don't approve of LGBT characters existing purely for comic relief

so I am undecided on this particular omission

I meant I can't say whether I had negative thoughts over the character in general, if I can't decide on that, then how could I possibly decide on that omission?

I'm glad they omitted it.

It was just too random and stupid. It reminded me of how at the end of Foodfight! where they just say "Dex is Jewish" right at the end.

Dex is Jewish, oh gawd that was random
I have done more research an I am also pleased with omission, since it was really just meant as comic relief it would seem

the attacks of Matawan creek inspired the events of jaws
the real life attacks were perpetrated by a bull shark not a great white
Peter Benchley himself became a shark advocate shortly after the release of the film Jaws resulted in the appalling slaughter of sharks, he said his works were largely fictional and sharks should be protected not hunted

thats so sad/depressing and yet funny at the same time

also on the topic of Finding Nemo, whales can not psychically expel fish when they "spout"
since the spout is actually air, not water, and is not connecting to the esophagus at all
a whale spouts warm air, that warm air from its lungs meets the cold air over the water and forms mist, making it look like the whale spouted water

Michell said:
thats so sad/depressing and yet funny at the same time

also on the topic of Finding Nemo, whales can not psychically expel fish when they "spout"
since the spout is actually air, not water, and is not connecting to the esophagus at all
a whale spouts warm air, that warm air from its lungs meets the cold air over the water and forms mist, making it look like the whale spouted water
While we're nitpicking, fish can't speak English.

Neither can pelicans.

Back