THE Scribble Smorgasbord

1. (Bridge)
  2. (Frog leaping)
  3. (Cookie ghost)
  4. (rocket take-off)
  5. bro dw im telling you
Another case with a clear favorite, but difficult second place. I really adore the shadow work in this picture, and the bold black shapes in the background cityscape. For the runner-up, I both like the frog and the cookie one a lot. I enjoy the theme and framing in the cookie one more, but the frog picture just uses its elements so cleverly, I feel like I'd be doing it a disservice not putting it in the second spot.
  1. Parked in the Dark
  2. "Adventurous, willing to take risks"
  3. Commercial District
  4. Lights out
  5. Gorillas in the Crisp
Finally, we arrive at a set where I struggle to pick the favorite. I think in terms of composition and technique, Adventurous is the superior picture. But I just adore the framing device in Parked so much that it narrowly comes out on top for me. I know you personally would probably put Lights out at the bottom. I just like how dynamic the concept is, with the foreshortening, speed lines, and the dutch angle in the background. The pose is a bit wonky, but it's still an interesting picture.
  1. Budget Star
  2. Near the Dark Star
  3. Going Live at Yoshi's Theater
  4. Documenting the Fawful Express
  5. Beachside Shore
I like the sense of depth in Budget Star, as well as the patterned tiles. Good job also with sticking to the Mario & Luigi RPG theme throughout all of your rounds.
  1. Wandering the Mind's Forest
  2. Hard to Reflect
  3. Wildlife Montage
  4. The March Concludes
  5. Picnic by the East Sea
Call me biased, but the picture you put up for our match is my favorite. It is such a stellar composition, it is no wonder I lost to it. Here I struggled settling on a third place. I went with Wildlife Montage over the March because, while the latter is more impressive and spectacular, the former is something that isn't often seen during this contest. I really like the serenity of the raindrops and the texturing on the foliage.
  1. Today was a good day
  2. Care for tea?
  3. (stealth mission)
  4. Bumpty dance
  5. Sandy waters
Big surprise here, I'm really showing my bias. But even without the reference, this is a very impressive picture. They're all great, really. Care for tea looks like something out of a professionally drawn manga. I hope you'll join future iterations of this contest too; I want to see more from you.
  1. No other path but forward
  2. Leech Seed
  3. Where the Poetry Flows
  4. Late Night Hunt
  5. "Feed Me Shroomour"
I picked this one because I really enjoyed the framing and perspective. It has a really cool vibe, with the cliff face in the background and the bridge coming towards the viewer. Struggled a bit to pick a second place. I went with Leech Seed, but I think had there been a long, moody shadow behind the figure in Poetry, that one would have gone in second place easily.

Without further adieu, here are your Round 6 match ups. Bot will be ready shortly

If anything below is incorrect please let me know ASAP
12gabu  +wyvy.png
Color Share, 4 hours

#7E221F
#2686B1
06wyvy   +gabu.png
29hearts     + kright temp.png
Tri Color, 3 hours
19kright      + hearts.png
01turb   +fwd.png
Color Swap, 3 hours

#FF5700
02fwd   +turb.png
01turb   +uniju.png
Color Share, 3 hour

#FF5700
#6495ED
22uniju    +turb.png
19 kright     +wogl.png
Color Share, 3 hours

#FEE0AB
#FF912E
25wogl   +kright.png
09tpg    + fwd temp.png
Tri Color, 4 hours
02fwd     + tpg.png
05gba    + quad ffa.png

09tpg      + quad ffa.png
Monochrome, 3 hours, Four-way free for all,
1000x1000 canvas,
No existing characters from any
commercial or personal franchises
12gabu     + quad ffa.png

34tb     + quad ffa.png
13 pito    + ltq.png
Color Share, 3 hours

14ltq      + pito.png
03 rose  + eleven.png
Color Match, 3 hours

#2E6F40
33eleven.png
07nine     + wt temp.png
Tri Color, 3 hours
18wt     + nine temp.png
27win   + uniju.png
Color Share, 4 hours

#EE5921
#6495ED
22uniju   +win.png
05gba      +dodo.png
Color Share, 4 hours, 1200x1200 canvas

#E4415B
24dodo    + gba.png
32mightymario.png
Vanilla, 4 hours, Solo entry
20bbq.png
Vanilla, 3 hours
04koops.png
30snack    + wogl temp.png
Tri Color, 4 hours
25wogl   + snack temp.png

Submissions are due in 2 hours, 33 minutes, 41 seconds

Last edited:
  1. (large crash)
  2. You have alerted the horde
  3. (connecting to client)
  4. (waluigi serve)
I think it's a toss-up between large crash and the horde for me. I ultimately went with the crash because I enjoyed the helicopter camera perspective. You might not know this, but helicopters are known for their propensity to elevate and descend. Meanwhile in horde I like the background work with the mountains. You also drew a plane, which, somewhat interestingly, is superior to helicopters in terms of horizontal acceleration.
  1. One bike please
  2. No Parallel Universe is too far to save you
  3. Leaked Mario Wonder 2 Level
  4. Securing the IT position
  5. Extreme Duel Mode
There are some unique challenges when working with a very dark custom color, and I think One bike please makes the best use of it. It's also a good joke, and creative interpretation of the prompt. I want to specifically mention Extreme Duel Mode here though, because the rendering of the robot is actually pretty good.

1729206428561.png

Like, here, I'd like people to look at this with the color brightened a little, in case they might have missed it. The detailing on this is very interesting.
  1. Finishing touches
  2. tired
  3. Thursday
  4. Sustenance
  5. At 3:00 AM
For me it came down between Finishing touches and tired. The former has some intriguing perspective work going for it, with the foreshortened pencil in the background. I also like the rendering of the ?-block. The other meanwhile is a very interesting composition. While I don't really have the full context, I understand this is a very personal piece, and it is well executed.
  1. What Have We Unearthed
  2. All For You
  3. Brick by Brick
  4. I'd Never Forget Those Eyes
  5. The Standoff
Very clear winner for me here. The composition is phenomenal--the gargantuan skull draws your view right in. The lighting and color choices are excellent as well. This piece is immaculate, I cannot conceive of a scenario in which it could have been beaten. I am also still very fond of All For You, which in my opinion showcases some of the best color blocking work you've ever pulled off, even if you personally didn't seem to enjoy the result that much.
  1. Night at the museum
  2. King of Drifting
  3. Wii are resorting to violence
  4. Poltergust G-00 mk. II
  5. Thanks for the 300 star bits
I still really enjoy the composition of Night at the museum. Making use of silhouettes was an inspired choice. It is the clear stand-out winner for me. Its runner-up is equally certain for me, with the very creative way to interpret the prompt and the killer joke.
  1. Wah-chelor
  2. Mid-autumn festival
  3. Setting a good example
  4. Psychically-induced Vertigo
  5. Have a blast!
One clear victor for me here: The way you've combined your usual strong detail work with a striking eye catch works really well to elevate this picture above the others. For the runner-up, I was once again torn between two. I think I slightly like the lighting in Good Example more, but the fact that you drew Festival on a single layer pushes it over the edge for me.

• Captain, our shields...
Possible upset here: I predict a lot of people will have chosen (starry sky), but as pretty as the rendering of that night sky is, I'm personally more of a comic/scene guy, so this is gonna be my pick. I really enjoyed the composition and the joke.

And let's have some fun while finishing up...

1. Clearance for the Company Van
  2. Ad-break
  3. Sand-Fishing
  4. Trying not to lose it
  5. Turning Point
I didn't really know what to do with Turning Point. I quite enjoy the amount of details and little jokes I was able to put into that, but I think Company Van is sort of the same concept executed better. I imagine if I tried to rank these within sub-categories the order would change dramatically. Like, Company Van is my favorite overall, but Ad-break is the best concept, while Turning Point has the best backdrop/environment.
He reacted to the thing, so I have to rank him somehow.
I guess let's rank the different comic strips.
  1. Match 4 intro (Arriving at the landfill)
  2. Match 3 intro (Office meeting)
  3. Match 2 intro (Printer challenge)
  4. Match 6 intro (Printer strikes back)
  5. Match 5 intro (Employee dissatisfaction)
  6. Match 1 intro (Fortune cookie)
I'm gonna be honest with you: I have no idea how to quantify any of this. This is just my gut feeling, you're gonna have to trust me on this. But really, the true winner is that scribble of Bob Ross painting Majin Vegeta. It's a visual that's just so wrong that it cracks me up every time I see it.

Doctor Wactopus and the Scribbler Six - Bonus Issue

2024Story13.png

With the Scribble tournament complete, and their twice-adjusted goal achieved, Doctor Wactopus and his band of misfits left [UNDISCLOSED LOCATION] to wander the surrounding area for completely voluntary reasons that they chose all by themselves.

"See, what did I tell you guys? Basically ultimate victory!" Doctor Wactopus said, boasting to his teammates.

"Yeah, shame you got fired when they found out you were copying your ID and handing them out," Reznor replied.

"Well, you know what, that was a lousy company anyway! I don't need... funding... Hm."

Just then, a mysterious voice came from a nearby alleyway. "So, you're looking for employment, are you? You know, I'm something of a scribbler myself."

2024Story14.png

To be continued?​

Back