The Official Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Kai/Super Thread

Dragon Ball Super is over. What did you think of it?

• Indifferent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disliked it

• Hated it

• Total voters
Re: The Official Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Kai Thread

I just watched the final episode of DBZK and my brain is spinning from Trunk and Cell's time traveling shenanigans and I choose the first

Now that I'm thinking about it, Janemba must be stronger. A Super Saiyan 3 killed Hirudegarn. A Super Saiyan 3 was severely beat up by Janemba. Then again, Wrath of the Dragon takes place later in the timeline, so Goku could've gotten stronger.

You must keep in mind though that Hirudegarn is sensitive to strong emotions. Super Saiyan 3 Goku taunted Hirudegarn, which made it possible for him to win; that's something that Super Saiyan 3 Gotenks never accomplished.

If not for that very weakness, Hirudegarn would most likely be the most powerful Dragon Ball Z villain in existence.

I kinda consider most of the movies to be non-canon. I like to consider the ones I do consider non-canon as alternate universes and/or timelines however. Much like how their was Trunks' Future and such.

The movies I say I could count as canon is Dead Zone and maybe Bojack. But those are the only ones I could see fitting into the DBZ timeline because they were in parts of the show that weren't really covered and are the most open-ended. (Dead Zone between Dragonball and Dragonball Z, and Bojack in the break between the Cell and Buu sagas) even the movies that take place after the events of DBZ are really iffy because Uub doesn't appear and it's clear that at the ending of DBZ, Goku goes to train him.

But overall, I just have a hard time believing that movies like Lord Slug, Tree of Might, both Cooler movies, all the Broly movies, etc. fit in the timeline of the events of DBZ. As much as most of them had some pretty cool (and some funny ones) moments.

I consider History of Trunks to be canon of another universe, and I consider Father of Goku to be canon, but the other movies that don't make sense in the DBZ timeline, I don't consider canon.

Mason said:
I consider History of Trunks to be canon of another universe, and I consider Father of Goku to be canon, but the other movies that don't make sense in the DBZ timeline, I don't consider canon.

History of Trunks and Father of Goku are of course canon but I don't consider them movies really. They were more like an extra long bonus episode meant to explain more things. Of course I know they're canon. No one should doubt that.

The first Broly movie fits. It's during the 10 day wait for the Cell games.

Where is Broly's planet?

I watched Wrath of the Dragon last night and the Great Saiyaman motto is still lame

Broly is from Vegeta. If you're talking about where they fought him, it was some planet that was destroyed by Comet Comori.

Blue Paratroopa said:
the Great Saiyaman motto is still lame

It's kinda supposed to be. Gohan acts like a stereotypical Comic Book Superhero while in costume. It's lampshaded multiple times in Dragonball Z.

Regarding the Dragon Ball Z movies, some of them do seem to be canon, while others are not...

Cooler's Revenge: The movie takes place some time after Frieza and King Cold were killed, but before the Android threat. Additionally, it has to be canon, as Cooler does make a brief appearance in Dragon Ball GT.

Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan: The movie most likely occurred before the Cell Games. However, in the TV series, Goku and Gohan completely maintained their Super Saiyan forms after leaving the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, and before the Cell Games. In the movie, they're not in their Super Saiyan forms, until they face Broly, so this basically destroys the canon theory for this movie.

Bojack Unbound: The movie occurs some time after Cell met his demise. The movie does give us an idea on some events that occurred before Gohan became a young adult.

Fusion Reborn: This movie seems to be rather sketchy, in terms of being canon, but it does have some canon involvement, such as Vegeta being in Other World, and as for Goku, he states that Janemba is the second person to have pushed him to his Super Saiyan 3 level. Also, this movie occurred before Goku and Vegeta were ever revived, and it does reveal to us the birth of Gogeta, which would later return in Dragon Ball GT at the Super Saiyan 4 level. But as usual, there are some events in the movie that contradict with the TV series's plot.

Wrath of the Dragon: This movie is rather skeptical with its canon involvement. First off, Kid Trunks did receive Tapion's sword near the end, which may imply that he's the Future Trunks who would later kill Frieza and King Cold in the past timeline. Of course, it may just be coincidental that Tapion's sword looks just like Future Trunks's sword. Also, Ultimate Gohan is seen in the movie, which is not a form that Future Gohan ever had. And the biggest conflict is Shenron, who only offered to grant one wish, even though he's supposed to grant up to three wishes, thanks to Dende.

Based on this info, I'd have to say that Cooler's Revenge and Bojack Unbound are pretty much the only movies that are completely canon, as their events don't seem to contradict with the TV series's plots.

MnSG said:
Cooler's Revenge: The movie takes place some time after Frieza and King Cold were killed, but before the Android threat. Additionally, it has to be canon, as Cooler does make a brief appearance in Dragon Ball GT.
lol

Well, I don't really want to get caught up in the "is GT canon debate" since I only switched sides pretty recently. Interestingly, it seems Dragon Ball Online ignores GT, and any aspect of DBZ that wasn't in the manga, but I guess that would be manga canon? I don't really know since I've never read the DBZ manga much.

MnSG said:
Regarding the Dragon Ball Z movies, some of them do seem to be canon, while others are not...

Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan: The movie most likely occurred before the Cell Games. However, in the TV series, Goku and Gohan completely maintained their Super Saiyan forms after leaving the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, and before the Cell Games. In the movie, they're not in their Super Saiyan forms, until they face Broly, so this basically destroys the canon theory for this movie.

Bojack Unbound: The movie occurs some time after Cell met his demise. The movie does give us an idea on some events that occurred before Gohan became a young adult.

Fusion Reborn: This movie seems to be rather sketchy, in terms of being canon, but it does have some canon involvement, such as Vegeta being in Other World, and as for Goku, he states that Janemba is the second person to have pushed him to his Super Saiyan 3 level. Also, this movie occurred before Goku and Vegeta were ever revived, and it does reveal to us the birth of Gogeta, which would later return in Dragon Ball GT at the Super Saiyan 4 level. But as usual, there are some events in the movie that contradict with the TV series's plot.

Wrath of the Dragon: This movie is rather skeptical with its canon involvement. First off, Kid Trunks did receive Tapion's sword near the end, which may imply that he's the Future Trunks who would later kill Frieza and King Cold in the past timeline. Of course, it may just be coincidental that Tapion's sword looks just like Future Trunks's sword. Also, Ultimate Gohan is seen in the movie, which is not a form that Future Gohan ever had. And the biggest conflict is Shenron, who only offered to grant one wish, even though he's supposed to grant up to three wishes, thanks to Dende.

Based on this info, I'd have to say that Cooler's Revenge and Bojack Unbound are pretty much the only movies that are completely canon, as their events don't seem to contradict with the TV series's plots.
The only other one that could be canon is Dead Zone. It fits in before Z but after the original series. But there is one contradiction. Krillin meats Gohan here. Yet right before Raditz arrives, Krillin is unfamiliar with Gohan. Also, Garlic Jr. has his own saga.

I am going to play a iso of dragon ball budokai, I like the intro, it's close to the original DBZ intro.

Speaking of Budokai, which should I get for Gamecube? Budokai 1 or 2?

Mason said:
MnSG said:
lol

Well, I don't really want to get caught up in the "is GT canon debate" since I only switched sides pretty recently. Interestingly, it seems Dragon Ball Online ignores GT, and any aspect of DBZ that wasn't in the manga, but I guess that would be manga canon? I don't really know since I've never read the DBZ manga much.
Accodring to the author, Dragon Ball Online is the official continuation of the DBZ manga.

Sauron said:
Speaking of Budokai, which should I get for Gamecube? Budokai 1 or 2?
Budokai 1 has more what-ifs like Frieza defeating super saiyan goku or cell absorbing krilling instead of the android he is supposed to absorb.
Budokai 2 has gokule and the majin buu saga.

I might buy Budokai 2 just for Gokule. It also has the what-if Buu forms.

Bump. Dragon Ball Z Kai. How do you think it could be improved (besides adding filler)? I have three things I would add. Gohan's old voice, Buu saga, and Faulconer music.

From what I recall, Dragon Ball Z Kai didn't include the Majin Buu saga, due to the amount of filler material that it had. It would be impossible to focus on just the major events, as the Majin Buu story plot heavily relies on the filler episodes, which is something that the other sagas never really had to deal with.

I haven't read that far into the manga. What's filler besides the otherworld tournament?

Back