Mario pictures

I don't really see Mario as cute. Cool seems more fitting if you asked me.

LeftyGreenMario said:
I'm still mystified how Koji Kondo doesn't think Mario is cute or at least his style shouldn't be cute. Mario is a natural for cuteness. :)

When did Koji say that?

I don't think Mario is supposed to be cute since he looks middle aged and is really confident. Confidence is the antithesis of cuteness in my opinion. Luigi on the other hand, is really cute.

TheSuperStarSaga said:
When did Koji say that?

I don't think Mario is supposed to be cute since he looks middle aged and is really confident. Confidence is the antithesis of cuteness in my opinion. Luigi on the other hand, is really cute.
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Asks/Iwata-Asks-Super-Mario-Galaxy/Volume-3-The-Sound-Team/2-A-Sound-That-Defines-Mario/2-A-Sound-That-Defines-Mario-205066.html

Mahito Yokota said:
When the track [for Super Mario Galaxy] was rejected, the words that Kondo-san had said really stuck with me. Those words were "Yokota-san, if somewhere in your mind you have an image that Mario is cute, please get rid of it."

Koji Kondo said:
When I worked on composing music for Mario, I never had the image of Mario being cute. I had always worked on composing music based on what I thought was cool at that moment in time. For the Mario games on the SNES and the Nintendo 64, I composed the music thinking about what kind of music was popular, and what was going on in the world at the time. I composed music that I thought sounded cool at the time, and I made it fit the visuals of Mario games. Thinking back to the way I composed the music back then, I think saying that "Mario's music should sound cool" is the most apposite way to describe what these pieces are aiming for.

Confidence and cuteness aren't mutually exclusive. Mario's both cute AND confident. And also younger than you think.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Confidence and cuteness aren't mutually exclusive. Mario's both cute AND confident. And also younger than you think.

I think Mario is really cute too. I guess it's just irl that I don't find confidence to be cute. I find confident guys to be cool, and confident girls to be hot. I reserve the term cute for shy people that I know irl at least.

After reading Kondo's harsh words I actually agree with him. It's fair to say Mario is cute, but that's just a byproduct of his happy go-lucky nature. If Mario could be described in one word, what comes to mind is confident. And "cool music" as Kondo calls it, seems to represent confidence better than "cute music". I imagine "cute music" would be reserved for even cuter characters.

I think Mario's confidence is what makes Luigi such a great contrast to him. Mario is confident and chillaxed while Luigi is anxious and uptight. They both play off of each other's strengths in weaknesses, especially shown in the Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario games. Fantastic characters. Much potential.

You know what I'd like, if they offer concept art as purchaseable collectibles in Super Mario Odyssey. :eek:

They did something similar in Paper Mario: Color Splash, where concept art was unlockable by donating cards to the museum, but that game wasn't exactly popular so possibly Nintendo hasn't fully realized yet how much concept art is liked.

Still, glad that they are releasing it and that Tostarena art is beautiful, by the way.

I don't think it's a bootleg. It's from one of those mini-figurine packs

7iS8gKV.jpg

There are two Marios on the map?
Edit: Actually, for you, that's probably what's right with the picture. The Wario flying off the map underneath the arrow. But then again, that could also be a good thing because it probably means he's losing.

Back