Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

That doesn't make any sense, but whatever.

So...does anyone have a problem with this game's item balance?

Honestly I don't see the fuss at all. Maybe because I prefer low-level play against mah CPU players

Baby Luigi said:

Honestly I don't see the fuss at all. Maybe because I prefer low-level play against mah CPU players

Since the item you get is not based on your rank anymore, you don't get enough good items to recover if you mess up the beginning. Not to mention Star speed boost is still ridiculous like in Mario Kart 7.
Not counting there are too many offensive items who will screw you if you don't place first quickly. Boomerang are impossible to predict, Fire Flower got huge buff and is almost impossible to avoid. Red shells fly in air, they are too common.
And even if you are first, there is always the classic scenario, first gets coin, second get red shell. Sometines even if the first has something to protect, the second gets triple red shells, gg.

It's not really a big improvement over the overly invincible first place in Mario Kart 7 huh

Personally, the item balance has never ever affected my enjoyment of the game, that's why you don't see me complaining about it.

It's like the only thing first place fears though

Against CPUs, you don't have to worry about the Triple Red Shells, but that's not the case in an online race. Human racers can easily clobber 1st place with the Triple Red Shells, as the 1st place racer is either cursed with getting only coins, or only gets a single Green Shell or Banana Peel for protection.

The Frantic item setting might resolve the issue a little, but in truth, Frantic is actually a lot worse, as the item spam becomes even more brutal with that item setting.

MnSG said:
Against CPUs, you don't have to worry about the Triple Red Shells, but that's not the case in an online race. Human racers can easily clobber 1st place with the Triple Red Shells, as the 1st place racer is either cursed with getting only coins, or only gets a single Green Shell or Banana Peel for protection.

The Frantic item setting might resolve the issue a little, but in truth, Frantic is actually a lot worse, as the item spam becomes even more brutal with that item setting.
The Red Shell thing is exactly what happened while I was racing with my friends.

Coin item is balls. Hated that thing, and it doesn't solve item balance issues.

There's going to be a maintenance for MK8 on September 28 from 2pm EDT to 6pm EDT.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/09/miiverse_currently_affected_by_maintenance_more_wii_u_and_3ds_work_planned

Probably lag fix.

Baby Luigi said:

You weren't there for the Awards MK8 Tourney.

You just weren't there.

That replay of Electrodrome just shows how f'd over I got. The items literally deteremined who got what place for a race.

I loathe the item balancing in this game. Whoever gets out in front basically has no trouble, anybody stuck within the pack can't escape the item spam within. On the off chance they do then the gap between first and the pack has already widened considerably because everybody that is apart of the pack is getting slowed down by getting hit by items.

It's like the middle of the pack is a black hole and the person in front is far enough away that they don't get pulled in by it. The only saving grace is a blue shell but even when I got a blue shell in second place and hit first with it he was still too far ahead for me to catch up because I was stuck within the pack for two laps.

Obviously skill is involved during the beginning to get in front of everybody else as soon as possible but then the person in first has a considerably easier time avoiding any obstacles than anybody fourth and under (assuming we have 12 racers).

I can tell you from experience that it's not THAT easy being in first. I've spent full races in first place only to end up in like 3rd because of triple reds.

It is still considerably easier to avoid everything when you are in first. Triple Reds aren't that common as well.

Yeah, if you manage to take the lead during the beginning, you are very safe, only the coin or the triple red shell can screw you.
If you are in the middle position, you have almost no chance to recover, there are too many items who will hit you.
This makes speed stat very important, heavyweights become so overpowered in this game. Choosing a lightweight is basically putting yourself at disadvantage.

I AM RED YOSHI! said:
There's going to be a maintenance for MK8 on September 28 from 2pm EDT to 6pm EDT.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/09/miiverse_currently_affected_by_maintenance_more_wii_u_and_3ds_work_planned

Probably lag fix.
Small thing to realize is that lag does not come from Nintendo's servers, but from people's Internet connections. During races, Wii U consoles communicate directly to each other, not with servers.

Cirdec said:
Yeah, if you manage to take the lead during the beginning, you are very safe, only the coin or the triple red shell can screw you.
If you are in the middle position, you have almost no chance to recover, there are too many items who will hit you.
This makes speed stat very important, heavyweights become so overpowered in this game. Choosing a lightweight is basically putting yourself at disadvantage.

To be fair, heavyweights do not guarantee an easy victory. And like I've said already, there truly are some very good lightweight players out there.

Basically, it's not so much the character, but the player who's using the character that matters. Believe me, I've used Morton on various occasions, and I've seen myself losing to a Koopa Troopa user a decent number of times. Even when I used Rosalina, a very good Lemmy user has given me a run for my money before.

Anyway, while high ground speed may help with the frontrunning, you do need to be weary of the acceleration stat as well, as low accelerators can't afford to take any item spam assaults. A Miiverse user that I've been following has suffered those kinds of defeats so much that his race rating dropped from 9999 to below 9000 after the update.

The following two videos show that very player using two 5+ ground speed combos, and yet item spam caused him to finish in 11th place in both races. On a side note, in the second video, a lightweight user does finish in 1st place.

Heavy Weights are OP'd. I was Toad with max coins on a straightaway with a Bowser player who I knew had no coins at all but I didn't get closer to him at all, in fact he was getting farther away..

DaKid said:
Heavy Weights are OP'd. I was Toad with max coins on a straightaway with a Bowser player who I knew had no coins at all but I didn't get closer to him at all, in fact he was getting farther away..

Ironic, since there were a few races where I was using Morton, and yet he couldn't keep up with a Yoshi player at all. And the ironic part is that I was using a 4.75/6 ground speed combo, which is something that Yoshi can't ever achieve (his ground speed only goes up to 4.25/6).

Similarly, there were a few races where I was using Rosalina, and yet a Lemmy player managed to keep up with me, and even win on various occasions.

I like using balanced combos with a good amount of speed, acceleration, and handling. I always must have more acceleration than speed, but they must be very close.

Course, I always use Rosalina, so weight is never a problem. Amd I rarely go into off road with the handling I use, so that's why I win most of my races nowadays.
And to think I used to be the worst out of my family at everything Mario (besides Kart and Brawl)...

Claus said:
Baby Luigi said:

You just weren't there.

That replay of Electrodrome just shows how f'd over I got. The items literally deteremined who got what place for a race.

I don't ever want to participate in tournaments anyway

Claus said:
Baby Luigi said:

You just weren't there.

hey I'm the one to talk to here.

I got fucked up even worse.

Oh god, I feel thankful I didn't participate.

Welcome to Mario Kart! :fancy:

Back