Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

King Antasma said:
Meta Knight said:
I think Wii is tougher to triple star, 7 and 8 all you need is a perfect 60 points.
wrong
In 7 i got first all 4 times and 2 stars
My mistake that's never happened to me

I triple-starred Wii, 7, and 8. <3

I think DS too, but I might be confusing it with another game because I don't remember there being ranks in that game, and if so, then I probably did.

SC I never had, but I know that it apparently is hell getting triple stars.

Claus said:
SC I never had, but I know that it apparently is hell getting triple stars.

tbh i found getting triple stars actually pretty easy if you know how the system works and if you race on the nitro tracks

the extra cups are a whole different ---- story. 5 laps + lapping slower drivers gives you less room for error.

And you also can't brake or let go of the accelerator button so don't think about that.

I hope that someday they release an update to give people the option to drive in Automatic mode, because Manual is too hard for beginners. I don't like how much the game relies on drifting.

Anser said:
I hope that someday they release an update to give people the option to drive in Automatic mode, because Manual is too hard for beginners. I don't like how much the game relies on drifting.

Well in my opinion people should learn how to drift regardless. No one who first played Mario Kart knows about drifting, yet we now all do it because we learned and practiced the tech. I think making it automatic could actually be hurting learning how to play Mario Kart.

Anser said:

But its so easy, plus a lot of unrealistic racing games do it.

Extreme-g did it, sonic & sega all-stars does it, etc.

Plus going around really sharp turns would be hell for a lot of people without drifting.

If an update is made to fix something, it should be about the awful item distribution. But it will never happen.

Cirdec said:
If an update is made to fix something, it should be about the awful item distribution. But it will never happen.

Isnt it better in 8 though?

Cirdec said:
That's Mario Kart 8 I am talking about.

Well i mean, or should have said, whats so bad about it?

From what ive seen it seems to be really good, or at least compared to all of the previous titles.

I think the item system in MK8 is the worst in the series. If you can get into first place early then you have a huge advantage because you rarely have to deal with items bothering you. Everybody behind you gets bombarded with items and while they do the gap widens considerably to the point where it becomes two races, a solo race for the player in first and a battle for second place within the clusterfuck of item spam.

I think that should explain why I loathe the 'improved' system.

Zae Eildus said:
Anser said:

But its so easy, plus a lot of unrealistic racing games do it.

Extreme-g did it, sonic & sega all-stars does it, etc.

Plus going around really sharp turns would be hell for a lot of people without drifting.

I'm not saying drifting should be eliminated, I'm just saying there should be an option to do it automatically instead of manually like in Mario Kart Wii because not too many people are good at it, especially beginners. When you play with someone new, it's impossible for them to beat you because they don't know how to drift.

Maki Nishikino said:
I think the item system in MK8 is the worst in the series. If you can get into first place early then you have a huge advantage because you rarely have to deal with items bothering you. Everybody behind you gets bombarded with items and while they do the gap widens considerably to the point where it becomes two races, a solo race for the player in first and a battle for second place within the clusterfuck of item spam.

So basically what you could do in smk, mk64, sc, and mkdd.

I guess its worse from that explanation but its certainly not the worst in the series.

I'm not saying drifting should be eliminated, I'm just saying there should be an option to do it automatically instead of manually like in Mario Kart Wii because not too many people are good at it, especially beginners. When you play with someone new, it's impossible for them to beat you because they don't know how to drift.

oh.... now that i think about it that was pretty obvious in your previous post, my bad.

The items are given out based on distance from first place rather than actual placing so the item distribution is IMO a lot more inconsistent than previous games.

It's more problematic because no matter how much second place gains on first, third place is just one red/green shell away from destroying that progress (then this is repeated between these two until the pack catches up and and the gap between first and second grows ever more) and first place doesn't have to worry about jack shit besides a red shell or two for the entire race. Even a blue shell doesn't do much since the gap is usually big enough that the item spam doesn't reach them and still continues to drag every other player back.

Guess ill have to find out myself when i play the game like uh, next year.

What Crackin said plus this:

The classic scenario: first gets coins, second gets red shell. Or even worse, the second gets triple red shell. This coin item are so terrible, getting it almost never benefit you.
Also at last turn, last panel of items, you are like 7th or 8th. You get one mushroom, the one in front of you gets triple mushroom, gg. Seriously it happens to me so many times.
And getting a banana when you are 5th or a green shell when you are 10th, no matter how the distribution is based on the distance toward the first, it is bullshit.

The item distribution screw up your skill, you better rely on your luck to get the first place. Even Animal Crossing: New Leaf need more skill than Mario Kart 8.

Weird, they might fix it if it becomes a more... popular issue though.

Anyways, i'll see if this is true when i actually play the game, so far the game play vids and lps seem to not rely too much on luck.

Maki Nishikino said:
I think the item system in MK8 is the worst in the series. If you can get into first place early then you have a huge advantage because you rarely have to deal with items bothering you. Everybody behind you gets bombarded with items and while they do the gap widens considerably to the point where it becomes two races, a solo race for the player in first and a battle for second place within the cluster*bleep* of item spam.

The funny thing is, even if you're the one in 1st place, you're bound to get nothing but coins most of the time. And since 2nd place "can" get Triple Red Shells, no matter how big of a lead you have, you'll eventually get item spammed like crazy.

MnSG said:
Maki Nishikino said:
I think the item system in MK8 is the worst in the series. If you can get into first place early then you have a huge advantage because you rarely have to deal with items bothering you. Everybody behind you gets bombarded with items and while they do the gap widens considerably to the point where it becomes two races, a solo race for the player in first and a battle for second place within the cluster*bleep* of item spam.

The funny thing is, even if you're the one in 1st place, you're bound to get nothing but coins most of the time. And since 2nd place "can" get Triple Red Shells, no matter how big of a lead you have, you'll eventually get item spammed like crazy.
yeah, one time in 20+ races. It's a rare occurrence and there is still plenty that can go wrong even if you manage to get them, like item spam from behind making you lose reds/make you lose placing so you can't hit first place with them. Just because there is one uncommon item that can actually manage to put a stop to that gap between first and everybody else doesn't make it any less shit.

Maki Nishikino said:
yeah, one time in 20+ races. It's a rare occurrence and there is still plenty that can go wrong even if you manage to get them, like item spam from behind making you lose reds/make you lose placing so you can't hit first place with them. Just because there is one uncommon item that can actually manage to put a stop to that gap between first and everybody else doesn't make it any less *bleep*.

Still, even 1st place isn't safe from item spam, so even if you do manage to take 1st place to start out, it only takes something like a Spiny Shell or any shell color to mess up everything. Even the Lightning item can be brutal to 1st place.

Item luck tends to determine who wins and who loses, regardless of your vehicle combination, meaning that even the best player in the group could suffer dead last finishes if he/she is unlucky enough to get item spammed to death.

If you're in 1st place, and have not been item spammed on for the whole race, then you're just very lucky.

Back