Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

Side note: CPU's can't get Triple Red Shells.

You may or may not already know that, or not even talk about them, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

MnSG said:
Maki Nishikino said:
yeah, one time in 20+ races. It's a rare occurrence and there is still plenty that can go wrong even if you manage to get them, like item spam from behind making you lose reds/make you lose placing so you can't hit first place with them. Just because there is one uncommon item that can actually manage to put a stop to that gap between first and everybody else doesn't make it any less *bleep*.

Still, even 1st place isn't safe from item spam, so even if you do manage to take 1st place to start out, it only takes something like a Spiny Shell or any shell color to mess up everything. Even the Lightning item can be brutal to 1st place.

Item luck tends to determine who wins and who loses, regardless of your vehicle combination, meaning that even the best player in the group could suffer dead last finishes if he/she is unlucky enough to get item spammed to death.

If you're in 1st place, and have not been item spammed on for the whole race, then you're just very lucky.
I've both been in the position and seen many times first place being blue shelled and the gap being so wide that even that isn't enough to close it. It's not a matter of being safe or not, it's a matter of who is safest; that would be first place which is a walk in the park in comparison to the shit you have to deal with otherwise. Item spam hits everybody, but the person who it hits least will slip further and further away from every other racer until even a blue shell isn't guaranteed to stop them.

King Antasma said:
wait...WHAT??

Sir, I believe I know when I've been hit with reds three times consecutively on a single player race.

I can confirm what ltq said; they DO NOT get triple red shells in any Mario Kart game save for shells only settings in Mario Kart 7.

He indeed meant 8. I'm just saying Lakitu's statement is true in every Mario Kart except 7

Maki Nishikino said:
I've both been in the position and seen many times first place being blue shelled and the gap being so wide that even that isn't enough to close it. It's not a matter of being safe or not, it's a matter of who is safest; that would be first place which is a walk in the park in comparison to the *bleep* you have to deal with otherwise. Item spam hits everybody, but the person who it hits least will slip further and further away from every other racer until even a blue shell isn't guaranteed to stop them.

Like I've said already, it's all about item luck. In fact, there was at least one race that I was in, where I was very fortunate to not get item spammed on at all (no Spiny Shells, no Lightning, and I never even had to use the Super Horn), and I wasn't even using a high speed combo.

And yes, this was an online race against some pretty good players that I was involved in; it was a MK8 World Cup tournament race.

zlCfzSZzxcIM8pHtjH

I do wonder if in Time Trials, the track layout will be completely fixed. It would have to be to ensure that the best times are entirely possible to achieve.

Great I think ill love racing on this

MnSG said:
I do wonder if in Time Trials, the track layout will be completely fixed. It would have to be to ensure that the best times are entirely possible to achieve.
According to GameXplain's discussion some Nintendo sites have confirmed that it is a fixed layout for Time Trials.

Cirdec said:
This track seems cool, though the music is pretty boring.

disagree, the rearrangement sounds very fun to race with

Lakituthequick said:
Oh *bleep*, 60fps YouTube is a thing. And MK8 Records did a thing.

Link as embedded video's don't support it. Or at least not at my place.
Disclaimer: might not work if your browser is IE10 or worse. Some non-IE browsers also have trouble with it.

The new 60 FPS feature doesn't work on my end either. For such videos, I find myself having to drop the video quality to 480p, just for it to play properly. That's pretty much the case with that linked video too.

Back