Why I don't care for Super Paper Mario

Like I said, the people I exposed to the game were the equivalent of a random person buying the game. If that survey was not BS there would be a 99% chance of said person disliking the story. Not to mention it was several people who played and liked the game and its story. That basically takes those chances and multiplies them. So basically my ex's family is part of .00001% of people who all happen to live together and they all liked SPM's story.

Yeah, I really don't buy that survey one bit.

Stop using percentages and then using anecdotes to verify your claims. And no, the percentage of 1% depends on the population. You make it seem like "OH NOES, THERE'S MORE THAN ONE PERSON WHO LIKES DE GAME, IT'S MORE THEN ONE PERCENT"

I already told ya that "anecdote is not the plural of data". It's literally basic statistics to know that.

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS said:
Like I said, the people I exposed to the game were the equivalent of a random person buying the game. If that survey was not BS there would be a 99% chance of said person disliking the story. Not to mention it was several people who played and liked the game and its story. That basically takes those chances and multiplies them. So basically my ex's family is part of .00001% of people who all happen to live together and they all liked SPM's story.

How many people did you expose?

What is an anecdote anyway?

Dr. Mario said:

How many people did you expose?
Well my ex and her two sisters for one. Then there was some other people living there (it was in a children's home) and I don't really remember how many. But at least five people were there.

Five people doesn't negate the survey.

What is an anecdote anyway?

to put it simply: stories

the reason we don't use anecdotes to make claims about a general opinion is that the sample is far too small to be verifiable

You know how many people bought the game?

2.28 million

If you knew 100000 people that bought the game and like it for its story, that's only 4%.

But since apparently less than 1% liked the story, chances are strongly against the favor of five random people getting the game and liking the story.

Again

Do you not know how percentages work?

Like, do you not know how percentages work?

You know, if 5 out of 500 people liked the story in the game, that ALSO qualifies as 1%.

I know exactly how percentages work. Point still stands.
Your point doesn't stand. Your sample size is too miniscule to be statistically significant.

Baby Luigi said:
You know, if 5 out of 500 people liked the story in the game, that ALSO qualifies as 1%.
That proves my point even more. What are the chances that the people I bought the game for would be in that 1%?
They know you, and would likely share your interests.

Baby Luigi said:
That proves my point even more. What are the chances that the people I bought the game for would be in that 1%?
Depends. Do they use Club Nintendo or the Internet?

Rosalina and Luma said:
Baby Luigi said:
If you say Club Nintendo, wouldn't that be both?

Rosalina and Luma said:
Baby Luigi said:
Not sure. My ex and one of her sisters are on the internet, but i have no idea what they do since they are no longer part of my life.

But the point is that what are the chances 99% of voters on CN would hate SPM's story? People who don't pay attention/skip through text don't count. As far as stories are concerned SPM's is one of the best.

But the point is that what are the chances 99% of voters on CN would hate SPM's story? People who don't pay attention/skip through text don't count. As far as stories are concerned SPM's is one of the best.

First of all, just because they didn't vote, "they play the game for the story" doesn't outright mean they hate it, it's just not important to them.

Second, SPM's story is cringe-worthy fan-fiction at best

Can you just call it Club Nintendo?

It's not that they hate it, it's just that they don't care.

If you don't care for story then RPGs aren't for you. Stay far away from my Paper Mario, thank you very much.

And SPM's story being compared to fanfiction is also an opinion.

Well, it depends on how many voters there are. Let's say 1000 people liked SPM's story. That would mean, for votes, 100 000 people did not like SPM's story. That seems likely, since a lot of people didn't play the game.

Did the link say the amount of voters? It won't load.

It doesn't say

I would take what they said also with a grain of salt too since convenience samples are the worst statistical method of getting samples out there

Or maybe people don't hate the story, maybe they just enjoy other things about the game more. The survey wasn't "Do you like SPM's story".

And my opinion:

Baby Luigi said:
SPM's story is cringe-worthy fan-fiction at best

If you don't care for story then RPGs aren't for you. Stay far away from my Paper Mario, thank you very much.

And SPM's story being compared to fanfiction is also an opinion.
I don't care for stories.
Then RPGs aren't for me.

I don't think the argument connects properly.

By the way, I really enjoyed Tales of Symphonia even though I wasn't, like, totally immersed in the story, and the music was off 99% of the time.

Back