What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

Memphis Belle - I used to watch this as a kid a lot: I appreciate the first half (on the ground before the mission) more now than I did back then, but the half in the air is still way more interesting and engaging, hands-down. I love them WWII bombers.

No-Face said:
Walkazo said:
The LEGO Movie - Pretty nifty movie.

Until the climax got wrecked by the twist with Finn and his dad. It was surprising and amusing and interesting at first, but then, to me, it undermined the entire story up until that point: I card about Emmet & Co., not these two random people and their shmultzy family drama.
Well, that was supposed to be an extension of the rest of the movie. Especially since The Man Upstairs was basically Lord Business, and the protagonists were supposed to be the creations of the imagination of Finn. The whole point was that Emmet & Co's battle was the same as the fight between Finn and his father.
That's what I hated about it: what's the point of Emmet & Co.'s struggles when the entire thing was being orchestrated by the kid, with the whole future hinging on the dad having a change of heart. It wasn't Emmet convincing Lord Business, it was the kid convincing his dad and that then feeding back into what Emmet and Lord Business were saying, doing, thinking and even feeling - they have no free will (or they're not real at all, and are just a story-within-a-story, which would be even more irrelevant, although I prefer the slightly less bleak "parallel world being directed by the humans" interpretation).

he didn't say you don't care about movies, he said that one would think that one of this forum's biggest movie fans (aka you) would show support for the people who make movies

Unfortunately, I don't really watch movies. Never seen Star Wars, for example.

Dany Lannister said:
he didn't say you don't care about movies, he said that one would think that one of this forum's biggest movie fans (aka you) would show support for the people who make movies
I do! I applaud certain directors who I'm a big fan of

"applauding" doesn't really cut it. they worked to make a movie, so unless you have a good reason not to, you should pay to see the movie

Walkazo said:
That's what I hated about it: what's the point of Emmet & Co.'s struggles when the entire thing was being orchestrated by the kid, with the whole future hinging on the dad having a change of heart. It wasn't Emmet convincing Lord Business, it was the kid convincing his dad and that then feeding back into what Emmet and Lord Business were saying, doing, thinking and even feeling - they have no free will (or they're not real at all, and are just a story-within-a-story, which would be even more irrelevant, although I prefer the slightly less bleak "parallel world being directed by the humans" interpretation).
Emmett was real, though. His thoughts were inspired by Finn's, but he was his own character, and his actions were again inspired by Finn. I think you're taking the movie too seriously. It's meant to entertain and convey a message, not be a complex reflection of real life.

No-Face said:
Walkazo said:
Emmett was real, though. His thoughts were inspired by Finn's, but he was his own character, and his actions were again inspired by Finn. I think you're taking the movie too seriously. It's meant to entertain and convey a message, not be a complex reflection of real life.
I completely agree. It is a great movie partly because of that reason.

Toothless said:
No-Face said:
Walkazo said:
I completely agree. It is a great movie partly because of that reason.
The LEGO world was TOTALLY a reflection of Finn's world: the different realms are from the RL basement setup, all the things everyone made were made by Emmet IRL, Taco Tuesday was from RL, etc. (and by RL, I mean the in-movie version - I'm not trying to make this about actual RL at all or anything like that). And to be clear, I'm not saying Emmet and co weren't real: I said that others could interpret it that way ("it's all a dream"), but I didn't. I think of it more as being like the Adventure Time episode "All the Little People", where the little toy folks have their own reality but Finn (lol, same name) freely manipulates it from his reality: they have their world and lives and such, but it's all dependent on what Finn does to them, and same with the other Finn and the dad and the LEGO. I know that the point of The LEGO Movie is to be fun, and 95% of it is, and it's great, but the "everyone is special; use your imagination" message, to me, was perfectly conveyed before things got muddled up by RL taking a direct role in the LEGO proceedings, instead of leaving it at the fun hints of fourth wall breakage with the various artifacts and the vision of the hand and whatnot.

Again, I quite enjoyed most of the movie: the humour was clever, the characters likeable, and it made me want to go and dump all my LEGO on the floor and build something awesome. I just didn't like the end, is all.

No-Face said:
"applauding" doesn't really cut it. they worked to make a movie, so unless you have a good reason not to, you should pay to see the movie

Walkazo said:
Well I need to review movies on YouTube where a particular film is relevant because there are times when I don't have time to see a movie

Look, what's worse: dissapointing the people who watch/read your reviews, or breaking the law?

Mariofan169 said:
Look, what's worse: dissapointing the people who watch/read your reviews, or breaking the law?

No one really cares if you torrent movies these days :P

*ksshht*Eagle Six-Oh-Four to Pentagon. We have a pirate. Converge on target.*kshht*

Baby Luigi said:
Mariofan169 said:

No one really cares if you torrent movies these days :P
Good point. I forgot these aren't the 'you wouldn't download a car' days :P

I'm just offering a bit of truth over here, gee, no need to get sarcastic.

It sounded like you are.

But I digress.

Some people like me would want to pirate because some parts of the movie industry like the MPAA are a bunch of assholes

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - I've never seen the show, but the movie was strong enough to stand on its own, with a likeable cast and an interesting plot.

Walkazo said:
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - I've never seen the show, but the movie was strong enough to stand on its own, with a likeable cast and an interesting plot.

Yeah, it's one of my favorite Batman movies, right up there with the Nolan trilogy in terms of how much I enjoyed it.

I, Frankenstein with my friends.

Having read the original novel, I consider the film a disappointment. It would have been better with no links to Frankenstein's Monster.

Back