What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

No-Face said:
i don't like how the movie makes it really dramatic with his death and explosion into paper mache. it kinda ruins the point of voldemort dying like a regular person

I will never understand why Harry is the only person in the entire series who gets a choice about whether or not to die. It's not like Harry was the only human Horcrux, either. Quirrell was another one (if only temporary), and he didn't get a choice.

And yeah, considering what Avada Kedavra does to everyone else, what happens to Voldemort in the movie makes no sense. He's still human, if malformed.

GalacticPetey said:
I don't think Quirrell was really a horcrux. He was something else.
Quirrel was just housing Voldemort, if I'm correct.

Voldemort, in a non-physical form, took residence in Quirrell's body. That technically makes Quirrell a Horcrux. The difference is that portion of Voldemort being the "main" one from which the others were split, and so he had a greater impact on Quirrell than he did on Harry.

by definition a horcrux is created when you kill something. since voldemort's last horcrux before he died was harry, quirrel can't be a horcrux

No, a Horcrux is not created when you kill something. Killing something is the act required to split your soul, but what is involved in the actual creation of a Horcrux beyond that is not yet known. According to Rowling, "The receptacle is prepared by dark magic to become the receptacle of a fragmented piece of soul and that that piece of soul deliberately detached from the Master Soul to act as a future safeguard or anchor to life and to safeguard against death." What was inside Quirrell was therefore most likely the Master Soul, since everything except Nagini as a Horcrux had already been done.

Monsters University

Pretty good. Despite being a prequel, there wasn't any sense of there being a foregone conclusion: it actually got suspenseful a couple times and it was interesting to see Mike and Sulley's character/relationship development.

GalacticPetey said:
The fight is worse in the movie. In the book, the final battle took place with everyone watching if I remember correctly. In the movie, it's all alone off somewhere. There's also that stupid part where Harry grabs Voldemort by the neck like he's about to kiss him and they jump off the building.
No-Face said:
i don't like how the movie makes it really dramatic with his death and explosion into paper mache. it kinda ruins the point of voldemort dying like a regular person
QFT x2

(but jeeze, if anything about Harry Potter still deserves spoilers it's the climax of the last movie, not the first one)

I really should watch the Planet of the Apes movies, but the idea has always kinda scared me off, possibly because the movies have such negative endings.

YoshiGo99 said:
Rise of the Planet of the Apes

It was very good, now I need to watch the 2nd movie.

Let me know how Dawn is if you see it before I get around to it.

No-Face said:
I really should watch the Planet of the Apes movies, but the idea has always kinda scared me off, possibly because the movies have such negative endings.

Well, a species asserting dominance over others is never peaceful, though Battle for the Planet of the Apes's ending is (more or less).

Hugo

Man, I was uncertain about this film when I started watching it, but I'm really glad I did. That was spectacular. The cinematography was very well done and the whole film was just beautiful.

No-Face said:
Hugo

Man, I was uncertain about this film when I started watching it, but I'm really glad I did. That was spectacular. The cinematography was very well done and the whole film was just beautiful.
It's Scorsese dude, of course it's gonna be great

Just 'cause a director is good, that doesn't mean every one of their movies is guaranteed to be good. Case in point, The Dark Knight Rises.

Compared to its predecessor, yeah. As a stand-alone, I wouldn't consider it a disappointment.

supermariofan said:
Shakespeare in Love. Call me crazy but I think it actually deserved best picture than Saving Private Ryan
pls no

shakespeare in love was annoying because it perpetuates the myth that romeo and juliet is primarily a romantic story

i wouldn't say it's a bad movie though. for a romantic movie, i actually (somewhat) enjoyed it, unlike titanic. it had a much better sense of humor

i can't really say i'm a fair judge though because i've never really been a fan of romance movies

Maleficent - Great central characters, but the story was dragged down by a couple plot holes nd contrivances here and there.

Although I did really like some of the changes, like the "good" fairies being completely useless, squabbling, shallow bitches, Aurora getting hypnotized int pricking her finger (rather than just ignorantly blundering into it), and the nice take-that to "love at first sight" despite the fact that the two really did take to each other: they'll probably end up as true love, but it takes time to build that bond - as Maleficent and Aurora did. I also liked that Maleficent didnlt die - figured it'd be a case of heroic sacrifice or something, with the crow dying too, so I was happy that only the batshit insane kind does in the end instead of the two best characters.

Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars - Don't care if it's just an hour-long special and not a real movie, I'm posting it here, because it's awesome. It was SO clever and funny all throughout: I'd say it's an even better ode to Star Wars than Blue Harvest (and that's saying something), as well as the best AU Phineas and Ferb episode to date. (The only thing that would have made it perfect was if they got the actual Star Wars actors to voice the characters, but between the duplicated SFX and music cues and a couple close voice doubles, they certainly did the best they could without 'em.)

Back