Why I don't care for Super Paper Mario

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS said:
Sticker Star basically took everything SPM stood for and crapped on it.

Which wasn't a whole lot anyway.

really? i thought sticker star crapped on paper mario as a whole, not super paper mario

Really? Most people here hate it? Because prior to this topic I seem to recall a lot of people saying they liked it.
Don't want to sound negative, but maybe because Sticker Star made it look amazing by comparison?

Also I still remember the very vocal hatred SPM got when it was released.

Of course.

IT'S DIFFERENT! PAPER MARIO RUINED FOREVER! WAAH WAH WAAAHmbulance

Indeed, my dislike of the game isn't because it was different from its predecessors, I just don't like its story, setting, characters and such.

I actually like the idea of a Mario platformer rpg but it needs some serious overhauling.

Gameplay-wise the game wasn't too bad. The idea was great and all, but I think it could've been done to a different series. I prefer my badges to cards.

The story and the 0% replay value is the reason that I don't even have the game anymore.

For me its most interesting mechanic was flipping between 2D and 3D, a concept so good a whole game can be made out of it (and it has, a rather fun puzzle game on the 3ds) but it was sadly and disapointingly under utilized.

Also the multiple playable characters, cool idea, bad execution. You'll barely ever need their unique abilities and Bowser is so powerful he makes using the others largely pointless.

Had I made it I would have honestly ditched the other three and stuck with just Mario, lord knows it would have helped the pacing.

I prefer Luigi over Bowser (his Spring Jump thing does double damage), plus Bowser can't have his damage doubled from Pixels like that Pound Ground one. And Dashell + Luigi = Yay

Pretty sure he can. Besides his damage was already naturally doubled and his fire breath was op.

I don't think he can, and I don't have it anymore, so I can't test it. I think the reason was that it was already doubled.

Well it doesn't matter in the long run.

I'd also toss out the pixls and replace them with actual well known Mario power-ups that you can switch between at your leisure.

Mcmadness said:
Well it doesn't matter in the long run.

I'd also toss out the pixls and replace them with actual well known Mario power-ups that you can switch between at your leisure.
Power-ups? A walking Fire Flower would creep me out.

Or do you mean enemies?

I mean you would just switch between the suits. Fire flower, tanooki, hammer etc etc.

Mcmadness said:
I mean you would just switch between the suits. Fire flower, tanooki, hammer etc etc.
So take out new stuff and replace it with stuff we already see all the time in the main series? Meh.

Ninelevendo said:
The story and the 0% replay value is the reason that I don't even have the game anymore.
I beg your pardon, I am currently on what is possibly my >50th playthrough.

When the new stuff is dull then yes I would gladly throw it out.

Pro tip, just because something is new that doesn't make it good.

Also you are on your 50th playthrough because you have a bloody obsession.

You're not getting my point.

Powerups??? While it is my favourite game, I do agree that the Pixls are ugly. That's all I agree with you on.
Powerups, on the other hand, are 10 times worse. I'd take a generic enemy with no backstory over them, thank you.

Talking tanooki leaves give me the creeps

The only problem with the pixls is that they don't have different dialogue for various scenes, only Tippi speaks. They are shown to all have distinct and wacky personalities when you first meet each. Their otherwise lack of dialogue is made up for by the different dialogue of Peach, Bowser, Luigi, and Tippi when Mario is out.

Rosalina and Luma said:
You're not getting my point.

Powerups??? While it is my favourite game, I do agree that the Pixls are ugly. That's all I agree with you on.
Powerups, on the other hand, are 10 times worse. I'd take a generic enemy with no backstory over them, thank you.

Talking tanooki leaves give me the creeps

....they wouldn't be following you around

I think he means just switching between the suits, not having any partner with you. Which I wouldn't like because it takes away the charm of having companions to begin with.

I think he means just switching between the suits, not having any partner with you. Which I wouldn't like because it takes away the charm of having companions to begin with.

Considering the pixls say barely anything the entire game it really doesn't make a huge difference. It just gives you something more appropriate to the series and not as bloody ugly to look at.

They tried making everything more "appropriate to the series" in Sticker Star and look how that turned out.

Considering I enjoyed that game more, not a good example.

Back